What sovereigns should I buy and aprox prices relative to spot

Discussion in 'Gold Coins' started by fishtaco, Sep 17, 2016.

1. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

Given I have no interest/understanding (yet) in coin numismatics value!

Just exploring as a gold accumulation at present rather than just buying nuggets/kangas, what should I look out for and what prices? pros & cons?

2. JNS

JNS Active Member Silver Stacker

My way of stacking look like a gold chest of a pirate so i have a little interest in gold numistmatic value too. As long it is a fine gold, what ever the form, i buy them without worry. It can be bars, wafers, coins and jewelries (in 22k only). For jeweleries, i always look for used items like big heavy bangles and chains. I buy them only if near to spot. I limit to buy fractionals coins if goes too expensive but honestly, i slowly collecting them. I used to ask to buy a 1 oz coins first.

It is a challenge of discipline and dynamic control in consolidating the savings but many times, when i am ready to buy, i almost kick my self because the item was already gone or out of stock.

Arbitrage in few pieces is good to lower the buying premium by immediately reselling or exchanging, it will be able to absorb the higher premium item thus opening a freedom in the wishlist.

In my job and constant travel, It gives me a soothing theraphy when buying them. Other than getting excited in each purchase, this is a simple sound guide and the most effective practice for me in increasing my gold position without any spending in shipping cost.

3. Ceallach

Ceallach Member Silver Stacker

I find that sovs generally command a high premium over the spot price (incl those without numi value). I suggest doing a comparison of fleabay's completed listings to provide a reasonable guide to what the market is willing to pay. McDonalds guide to coins and banknotes also provides insight into which sovs generally command bullion price + premium (starting 10%), and those that have a greater numi value. Don't take too much notice of the numi valuations in the book though (these are at the high end). You can buy the book off flebay at a much cheaper price if you grab a previous year's publication (and much of the info is still relevant/the same). there are other books or websites that have the info though

I like sovs (and old gold coins from other countries) as they are easy to move on if I need to cash in, there always seems to be a demand and they tend to maintain a steady price. Mostly though, I enjoy having coins that have some history, and I will hunt out any with some numi value. Its not everyone's cup of tea though.

good luck with your stacking

4. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

As close to spot as possible.
    Buy as fractional well know bullion.