Unsolicited / off-topic comments in trading threads

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand (Public)' started by goldpelican, Feb 27, 2013.

1. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

There has been an increase of late in the number of "peanut gallery" style comments being made in other members trading threads that are unrelated to the transaction.

Members are reminded that trading threads are only to be used for trading purposes - if you are not a prospective party to a transaction in a thread, don't post.

If you are a buyer or seller and there are off-topic posts being made in your thread, please report them for deletion.

All members are reminded to do their own due diligence before entering a transaction - including price comparing elsewhere before committing to purchase items on offer.

Trading threads are a classifieds system - not an invitation to interfere in someone else's trade.

Silvermonkey, adze67, TasAg and 4 others like this.
  2. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So would this also include unofficial bumps such as nice price and so on that members might feel the urge to make as well as the so called constructive criticism on pricing etc ?

Silverdale likes this.
  3. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

sometimes u need to comment so others can learn from it...unfortunately some members dont know how to do their own due diligence ;)

SilverDelta and Silverdale like this.
  4. goldpelican

Trouble is that almost every trading thread now has someone wading into it offering their point of view or opinion on a trade, and there's a big difference between constructive comments and derailing.

It's a cyclical trend that emerges every few months on here - as indicated by the "thanks" reponses to the first post in this thread, it was time for a reminder about trading thread etiquette.

Jamie watson likes this.
  5. bloomst

bloomst Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So GP, just to clarify, are we not welcoming comments like "nice bars" or just the negative comments?

6. BullionDollarMan

BullionDollarMan Member Silver Stacker

It cannot be made any clearer

adze67 and Jamie watson like this.
  7. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

I also would like to see the "Ramping" of some sales theads discouraged? Great price wish it was payday :rolleyes:

Shlomo Goldberg and Jamie watson like this.
  8. gazzahere

gazzahere Member Silver Stacker

if you are not a prospective party to a transaction in a thread, don't post.
    It cannot be made any clearer

Fully agree.

And if education is needed, let it be done by ss, not interfering busybodies.

The term mind your own business is apt in this case IMO.

If anyone thinks something is off or sus, why not just drop a line to GP.

I basically don't put anything up on ss for sale ATM because of too many interfering nits - some with good intention but many with small lives and big opinions. There are even a few here that crash others sale thread with their own stuff -- you have to be kidding - certainly before a sale is completed.
    I can't think of worse manners.

If you pick up that someone wants something and hasn't got a fill - fine. Pm them, but don't interfere with someone else's sale.

Have a great evening,

Gazza

Jamie watson and Miksture like this.
  9. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I understand and fully agree...you have been nice long enough to everyone , why dont u use yr "power and tools" to ban members when necessary....that would teach a lesson to everyone...not everyone reads all the threads to be fully aware of the forum etiquette...

Jamie watson likes this.
  10. VRS

VRS Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I notice you didn't mention SBSS or 'Slave Queen' in that post brotha... ;)

11. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

In my own defence, I didn't think that guy's "Samsung SIII for sale or swap" thread was going to last. :(

The Peanut Gallery rests.

12. goldpelican

It was merged to the barter thread.

13. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Why not just knock the arseholes on the head instead of blanket brushing everybody with the same brush ?
    I could probably go through all those who thanked the original post and bring up at least one example of a sales thread interference from at least half of them given the current criteria , site sponsors included and add a few more to boot as well.

Since when did we become so precious ?

I have had "issues" with people posting in my sales threads both in the members only sales thread and in the open ones....Boo Hoo for me, big deal, I handle it based on the value of my sale to any potential buyer. I have also been "guilty" of bumping someone who I see as placing a really good deal for any buyer at any level on the open sales thread.

Anal retentive arseholes aside that feel the need to constantly monitor the sales threads as if it is their own personal domain and see it as some post count given right to do so, they (the sales threads) actually run quite smoothly given the amount of and relative level of complaints. And before those who feel it is as a result of their (insert deity) God given right to police the sales forums claim the smoothness is due to their interference I call bullshit.

If anything it is the interference of the high post count self important sales thread Nazi's who cause most of the problems. And if one really thinks about it properly NOT ALLOWING people to comment on sales threads only increases the risk of new or existing members to be ripped off.

Maybe instead of a blanket ban on all such comments GP you might look at the behaviour of those most prone towards making such comments in the first place and asking them to reconsider or limit their seemingly up to date condoned comments on every member that dares to post a sale thread before introducing themselves or even doing so after their first one off post?

As for bumping a sale here??? WTF are people thinking ? Just for minute consider this....

A long time member with a healthy and robust sales record or reputation on Silver Stackers places for sale X product at X price, great price, well known member, and other members with similar reputation bump that members sale as a product at a good price, a well known member with a great reputation with no sniff of ever having a bad sale etc etc etc .

Can I ask just WTF is wrong with that ??? Has that member not earned that reputation ? Does a new member not deserve the exposure of that sale from that trusted member as promoted from other members ?

As originally asked, why not just knock the arseholes on the head instead of making everybody pay for the sins of a few ? Silver Stackers does not have moderators so far as I can tell so why let a select few dictate the ebb and flow of the sales threads as if they were in some self imposed way in control of it ? Alerting fellow members is one thing when things seem suss but jumping on everybody as a result is just being a surrogate nanny when in reality it is not needed.

If in fact there is a recorded instance of people being ripped off here on Silver Stackers then honestly please produce the figures % wise as opposed to estimated sales, If there is no history that is significant then why not just leave the members alone and just tone down the small % instances of self imposed sales thread police that seem to be producing the vast majority of interference.

While I am sure everybody appreciates the security you provide Ben as proven recently with the PM issues , I as an individual for one do not appreciate the arbitrary limitations placed on commenting upon individual sales threads and think that if anything it will only lead to more inexperienced and new buyers to be led astray due to a default situation of not saying anything along with a failure of exposure of those members who have a great track record and a commitment to the site.

Sure some people need to be checked and double checked but punishing the many for the fault of a few is arbitrary and wrong, based on the info in this thread I would be not allowed to advise someone that a 10 Oz silver bar was available cheaper on Goldstackers.com compared to a price on a thread....Just what is wrong with that ?

14. goldpelican

It's been policy in the forum for close to four years since this place started - every now and again though it gets out of hand. There used to be trading guidelines stickies in each trading forum, but they were accidentally deleted some tie back.

There's an extra level of discretion and privacy available with "peer to peer" private trades that you may not receive at a dealer - such as being able to perform relatively large transactions anonymously - some people will pay a premium for that anonymity at times, or the convenience of being able to trade face-to-face rather than paying postage etc from a dealer - so it can't always be assumed that price is the only determining factor in whether or not a deal is a good deal in someone's eyes. I'm sure there's walk-up customers that come into Gold Stackers seeing as you brought that up as an example that would gladly pay another dollar an ounce etc on silver if they thought it meant they could drop $50k cash on one transaction without having to provide ID or be the subject of an AUSTRAC threshold report, instead of having to identify themselves to us or buy in $5k weekly purchases instead.

Bargain Hunter likes this.
  15. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

16. humbolt

humbolt Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :p :p :p :p
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    :lol:
    :p
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p :p :p

17. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

18. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

19. swoydaz

swoydaz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What about two streams ... and this is genuine.

One to trade with banter and one to trade without banter.

T.W.B. (Trade with Banter) and T.W.O. (Trade with OUT banter).

Or what about "Banter Barter" and "NBST" (no bs trading).

Problem solved??

ilank14 and Erin like this.
  20. gazzahere

gazzahere Member Silver Stacker

What about just sticking to the rules. What about banning interferring busybodies - give them a holiday for a month for first offence and lights out second offence?

G

swoydaz and Jamie watson like this.