U.S. Dollar Index is on the pad and final checks are being undertaken.

Discussion in 'Currencies' started by tolly_67, May 17, 2014.

1. tolly_67

tolly_67 Well-Known Member

That's right folks, remember to keep your distance as the heat off this baby will incinerate those who venture too close.
    The flat earthers are not invited as they will declare it as staged just like the moon landing.
    The gold to the mooners are not invited also because they will claim that the rocket is in fact gold with a fresh spray paint.
    The manipulationers are to stay at home because they will complain that the rocket was forced.
    The fiaters need not come because they will declare that the rocket is full of $100 bills which are to be spread around the world.
    The Q.E.ers won't see it because of their heads in the sand.
    In fact so few people will witness this baby rise that it will be out of sight before they can even look to the sky.
    This is a true market bottom approaching.

2. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

3. tolly_67

Yes, sorry about that.....had time to kill..
    A touch boring if I had of just written what I actually thought.
    "Attention, U.S. Dollar soon to rise"
    It is more fun to stir a few pots in the process.

4. tolly_67

This baby will soon pass the 82 mark.......launch successful and the tower cleared.

I was trying to link "Space Oddity" by Bowie but I am not much of a tech head. help please.....

5. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Forget Bowie.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWtCittJyr0[/youtube]

6. finicky

finicky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Looks solid, and the chartist on financial news Gary Glover says at 1.5m "..longer term we think the usd looks pretty bullish here ... signs of a big base". Not suggesting imminent breakout though - more longer term prospect.
    http://www.finnewsnetwork.com.au/archives/finance_news_network77403.html

Just to throw in a video address made this year by Kyle Bass in which he was very dark on the Japanese economy, Jap Gov Bonds, and Yen, and that by comparison USA was much better off.
    One strategy he suggested for a retail investor was to "Sell Yen Buy Gold". Not sure what he means exactly - Borrow Yen to buy gold?

7. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Thank the fracking boom.

8. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

Well, a higher dollar itself is likely to trigger a crisis considering all the debt on the books. Hence, all the QE of the last several years.

9. tolly_67

The crisis to be concerned about is in countries such as Malaysia that have large industries with enormous exposure to loans in U.S. dollars as they took advantage of the low rates. As the dollar rises, the Malaysian government will take the road most followed and will devalue their currency as they have in the past. This will help exports at the expense of the large industries. Countries such as Malaysia have had a boom in real estate as well and this could be the catalyst for the end of this boom.

10. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

US dollar index is a value derived from a formula with the main fiat currencies.
    It can double due to others halving.
    It can halve due to others doubling.
    What is the meaning of a change, relative to parameters outside that formula?

11. tolly_67

Euro (EUR), 57.6% weight
    Japanese yen (JPY) 13.6% weight
    Pound sterling (GBP), 11.9% weight
    Canadian dollar (CAD), 9.1% weight
    Swedish krona (SEK), 4.2% weight
    Swiss franc (CHF) 3.6% weight

The euro makes up the largest component of the index. If it halves, the dollar index moves up about 50%.
    Such weaknesses would prompt a review of the weightings.
    The uncertainty in Europe will put all European currencies under pressure such that the index will reflect this flight to perceived quality.

12. projack

projack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The UK and Sweden are part of the EU and the Swiss frank also pegged to the euro, so USD index basically US vs. Euro exchange rate, specially since the yen also stuck around the 101 yen mark US since dropping about 25% more than a year ago.

13. tolly_67

The flight to the Dollar will in part be due to the failure of the Euro..........in part by the failure of Euro banks and bonds...............in part by the failure of Euro nations to stop implementing policies that crush their own economies..
    So yes, in short, the Euro will probably set off the rot and the rest will follow.

14. Pirocco

That 'perceived quality', essentially is nothing but the result of a forced upon formula. Hence the 'perceived'. I think this is worth a bold tag. It's also why I asked "What is the meaning of a change, relative to parameters outside that formula?". The formula is nothing but an intercurrency 'price fixing', so any change of a parameter in it says nothing about the world outside the formula. Even in a worldwide (all currencies hyperinflation), these relations, perceived 'strength' and perceived 'weakness' would not differ.
    That 'flight to the dollar', is not due to people searching safe havens, but due to systemic, market (fx) wide application of the formula. Which entities trade so as to make that formula applied? Central banks?

15. tolly_67

Yes, it would be better to compare the dollar individually with all major currencies in a stand alone fashion.

16. Pirocco

The dollar index IS such a comparison. An 'individual comparison in a stand aline fashion' sums up to the dollar index.
    Skip the dollar and any currency and look at what happens in society and economy.
    In a present and relative way (to eachother), and more important, in an absolute way to a past reference.
    If you sit in a train, and you watch/talk to the other passengers, judging them on how well they are, and may become, there will be a 'best', and a rank. Yet, if the train is headed for a broken rail and its destruction, then that rank is rendered a side story, ended by a main one. The same applies here.

17. tolly_67

u.s. dollar index 98......Maund has finally caught on and in his latest offering admits that as it has now broken significant upward resistance, there is nothing to stop it going to 120......she is through the stratosphere and soon to pass through the mesosphere.....( google it )

18. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

19. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Wasn't it just last summer that Sinclair and the anti USD group were stating that the USD was about to nosedive? I guess they will have to find something else to talk about for the next 2-3 years. Is this move in the USD the start of the end game for existing currencies or is it just an indication that the US economy looks stronger than the rest of the world. That is the question.

20. Pirocco

Big trend changes / crises take longer to arrive than most think.
    And when they finally manifest, they proceed much faster than most think.
    Not saying that Sinclair and his gang have anything else in mind than mood making stories to make a profit from, but their blabla is just abit shifted in time from reality. What sits on longterm peaks, is a sell strong, and what sits on longterm bottoms, is a buy weak.
    Some make their biggest money from the last ones that believe the timeshifted story.
    I'm an euro sider, and since the euro was driven down so much, I decided to keep the longterm weak. Silvers price isn't as longterm weak as the euro's longterm weak. So I see some chance to get more silver for my euro's later. At the moment the kilocoin price is around 550, and I've seen 480 a couple times last year. My last ones I bought at abit over 500.
    Some time stretching of that "was about to" may make it true.
    My 50 cents based on some freebie 50 cents data. :D