Turkish Gold Coins - Lira, Meskuk and Ziynet

Discussion in 'Gold Coins' started by JNS, Oct 8, 2015.

1. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

so you think that I have a relaxed attitude to fake coins because I call bullshit on your accusation of handling a PCGS slab that for all intents and purposes appeared genuine but held a fake coin?
    you said you have handled many fake slabbed coins but have no evidence to prove it, not a single picture of a cert number. now I never said that people don't fake coins or try to fake slabs. but I am saying that no one has every been able to successfully fake a PCGS secure slabbed coin. This is because the sheer cost of doing so would so far exceed the value of 99.9% of faked coins it wouldn't be financially viable
    as for the statement
    "People should take note of you guys and check coins bought of you "
    that is nothing short of saying I have sold fake coins and that people should check to see if they have one,
    for the record, yes I haven't XRF'd every coin like you say you have. But unlike you I don't own an xrf machine or have a collection so tiny that I could, so unles this is the case then I call BS on your statement that every coin you own has been XRF'd.
    To XRF every coin I own would take at least a year working 10hrs a day 7 days a week and that's assuming that each coin only takes 60sec to verify and my collections is tiny compared to some people I know so they must all trade in fakes based on your logic
    Instead I have the ability to establish what coins are fake/real based on my years of knowledge and using varies grading/verification techniques and materials, I doubt you will find anyone who knows me that will say I am uneducated on numismatic matters
    I also don't touch anything I am unsure about but will happily buy a PCGS secure slabbed coin safe in the knowledge that (with a quick check of the cert/slab) that the coin is genuine

2. Eliassamaha

Eliassamaha Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You know nothing of my collection so don't try to insult me by saying its a small collection

I find it hard to believe you can authenticate a coin just by the slab thats my experience

As for xrf testing my coins I assure all my coins are xrf tested I do it as soon as I buy them unless their from a dealer like Perthbullion Ect

Upon reading the comments I must admit it seems I'm not familiar with pcgs maybe pcgs is different to other companies?

That being said you can never be to carful surly faking a slab costs less than a 1oz gold coin

I never accused you of selling fake coins so don't take it personal, there was a incident a while back where a very reputable dealer was unknowingly selling fake pamps

So Yes I think you're way to relaxed and in denial

When paying thousands of dollars for something you want to be a 110% certain it's real and for you to get so defensive when I qeustion how can you trust a slab only shows me that your insecure about it

Maybe your buying 1oz silver slabbed coins or you have way too much money and don't give a crap

3. serial

you admit you are unfamiliar with pcgs security systems but still continue to bash them, as for fake pamps you are comparing that to securely slabbed coins??! chalk and cheese and totally irrelevant to the statement you made regarding slabbed coins not being trustworthy and in need of secondary testing.
    If you were fully aware of pcgs systems you would know the physical slab is only part of the security system and they have cert numbers and high grade pictures to verify the coin is as per the slab.
    so you would not only have to perfectly fake the slab, hologram but also the coin would need to have al the little marks and die cracks and toning/lustre of the original coin whilst still having the look of a struck coin.
    1 oz silver slabbed coins, please they are bullion, I have real numismatic coins that have only 9 worth of silver but are worth more than 10 oz of gold, so next time you want to try to insult me regarding buying slabbed bullion you need to find out who you are talking to as you know shit about numismatic coins and are focused on bullion. Nothing wrong with stacking like that but stop trying to act like some big shot expert on numismatics

As for testing all your coins I again call BS unless you have a XRF machine of your own or a small collection

4. Eliassamaha

Gees mate you must be a real big shot buying tens of thousands of dollars worth of "numnastic" slabbed coins that can't be sold for 1/20th of their value

I never said I was numnastic expert

I hope pcgs give you lube with their slabs but even if they did I'm thinking you wouldn't use it you love it from them

Believe me I xrf coins Im arguing about the security of slabbed coins my whole point is you can't beat the xrf

Mind your own business about my stack I don't want to get into it for security reasons, but the way you carry on about your stack it must be a little tiny one since you're advertising it to the world

5. epop

epop Member

Eliassamaha why don't you put the other side of the slab to see the certification number?
    Also can you explain us please how you make an xrf test on a slabbed coin?

6. serial

"Believe me I xrf coins Im arguing about the security of slabbed coins my whole point is you can't beat the xrf"
    And that is why you are wrong and seem to be losing the point of a slabbed coin. A fake coin can be made of gold but still fake. Given that most coins slabbed have a value exceeding the metal value an xrf scan will not tell you without doubt that the coin is genuine. A Pcgs secure slab will always contain a coin that has been certified by experts in the field as genuine. Now if you only ever own melt value coins like you obviously do then of course you will be satisfied by an xrf scan. But I would never buy an uncertified 1930 penny of you just because your xrf says its genuine bronze.
    And i am also interested in seeing the cert number on that fake coin

7. JNS

JNS Active Member Silver Stacker

Hi, it is really hard to tell fake or not. That is why i am buying a raw/bullion coin which i have the ability to handle myself.

When you are buying always and constantly, it is more easy to find which one smells wrong,
    If you will not be faked, you will never learn.

First, i have my own scale, i used their scale then recheck with my scale. Second i bring a small micrometer when i am buying a gold coin. I have also a strong magnet in my pocket. I can not afford XRF machine so i used the simple marvel of checking.

I do not buy a coin if i don't know the coin, Diameter x thickness x weight, serrations must past my readings. No rush, take your time.
    Then i will make an SG test in my room to re-confirm.

Most of gold coins i bought are repetitive actions.

I also respect experts from grading companies NGS/PCGS but for my personal opinion, i like to play with my gold coins in my hand which i can not do on my silver coins.

I hope not to fail again :) this is one of the essence of my hobby, a challenge.

JNS

8. Eliassamaha

The xrf works through it but to be sure you have to open it up

9. Eliassamaha

Yeah your right serial I'm mostly a bullion stacker and don't buy numnastic unless they're precious metal even then knowing they're precious metals covers their value and agree that xrf is only good to test for precious metals

But buying gold in market place in turkey brings up a lot of red flags to me and with the experience I've had the fakes are getting better and better

Even Dealers themselves are being fooled

That is why I'm so apprehensive to believe you can 100% trust a slab maybe with numnastic a slab is the way to go

10. Monsta

Monsta Member

It feels like I opened a can of worms in this thread.

Suffice to say, if you have a real & authentic slab of a coin, then both NGC & PCGS basically guarantee the contents. If by some unfortunate miracle you end up with a non-genuine item inside a genuine slab, NGC will buy it from you at the prevailing rate, or replace it with a genuine item. Not 100% sure of the PCGS guarantee but I think it is similar.

This of course does not apply to slabs themselves that have been faked - we have seen a few of them posted here recently but all of those so far have been flagged at the Certification check as far as I am aware. This is why if you are going to post a fake slab, then we want to see the Certification number to run it against the checker. So, to Eliassamaha, you were being a bit disingenuous by providing a 'fake' slab without the cert details.

That said, I agree with you completely that the fake slabs themselves are getting better and better. It is indeed harder to tell much of the time and as such we need to be open and honest about the issues we all face, and also some of the tips to spot a fake - however not to the level where we are telling the counterfeiters how to fix their mistakes. It is a thin line to tread.

11. JNS

Just today's addition with 24K nadir rounds

[​IMG]

12. JNS

Not bad for yesterday g-price

[​IMG]

13. JNS

Just an update, today visited some stores in Izmit selling some waffers and coins. Here how they look like

[​IMG]

14. JNS

15. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

22k is the reason we do not see many of them in this country.

We would have to pay 10% tax on them.

If we buy 24k we do not have to pay any tax.

16. JNS

Hi, when i scroll around? i found waffers and rounds of 995 and 999.
    Yes, their bullion standard is 22k but far less is the price for the waffer and rounds. Gold price are the same in all stores.:):):)

Just when you visit this country, dont hesitate to find a good buy.

17. JNS

Picked some fractional today....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. JNS

Fractional turkish gold coins bit a high premiumed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. JNS

Here is the busy stores in Izmit. Bullion store just behind gold market.

[​IMG]