The Fed raises USD rates

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by Roswell Crash Survivor, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Roswell Crash Survivor

Roswell Crash Survivor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Weirdly, both XAUUSD and AUDUSD perked up on this news.

2. barneyrubble

barneyrubble Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It appears that silver (and gold) spiked on the rate hike announcement too.

3. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Maybe they were expecting the rate hike to be much higher?

4. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

US bond market crash in progress?

5. Gullintanni

Gullintanni Well-Known Member

This spike in metals i suspect is going to be followed by an almighty DROP>
    This may be the bounce before we fall through the floor.
    Pm's should have gone the other way on this hike so i am feeling better about my cashing out earlier in the year.
    Might even see my $14 by the end of the month.
    Or altima is right and the hike was not as big as expected.

6. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's the beginning of the end ... for the USD

7. BuggedOut

BuggedOut Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

A case of buy the rumor and sell the fact. No surprises in the Fed action (and commentary) so the money parked on the sidelines is moving back in with a bit more confidence.

Gold bouncing of a good support level and I'm quietly confident it can edge higher from here over coming weeks.

8. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

I cashed out my silver a little while back too.
    Partly through need, but I also think (hope) it's going to drop further.
    Of course it won't now, you watch...

9. JOHNLGALT

JOHNLGALT Well-Known Member

Raising interest rates while in a Recession will only make the $U.S stronger, contracting it's economy further and sending the country into a Depression.

This may be intentional. _JOHNLGALT,

10. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

On what metric, do you think US is in a recession?

Unemployment rate is 4.7%
    GDP Growth rate is to estimated to 2.1%

11. JOHNLGALT

"On what metric, do you think US is in a recession?

Unemployment rate is 4.7%
    GDP Growth rate is to estimated to 2.1%"

Thanks for the reply, I've just joined so I don't know if I'm doing this right.

John Williams at SHADOWSTATS Website has calculated the U.S. unemployment @ over 20% using 1980's methodology before the Gov't started rigging the measures used to calculate it in earnest.
    The GDP growth they use is calculated using Airy-Fairy make-believe money.
    Gross Domestic product should be measured using just that i.e PRODUCTS PRODUCED. _JOHNLGALT.

12. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

4.7% unemployment rate???? :| 3,000,000 in prison + 47 million on food stamps????

Regards Errol 43

13. JOHNLGALT

Thanks to the SITE KEEPER for changing my username to JOHNLGALT as requested.

The LOG-IN had me fooled for a while until I realised what had happened. Thanks again _JOHNLGALT.

14. Ipv6Ready

It would be normal for 47 million Americans to be on food stamps. Minimum wage in American is $7.25 an hour.
    America is for the wealthy if you are poor Life sux but what of it.

3,000,000 in prison, pfft thought it would be more. Still doesn't mean recession.

15. Ipv6Ready

Had to look this up about 10million Australians including children get some sort of welfare benefits, though if we take out family benefits it still mean 5.1 million get welfare from 25 million, which is about 20% of the population.

Americans it's only 47m of 350million who get food stamps is at 13%, not so bad compared to Australia.

Also something Australia should look to stop welfare payment being wasted alcohol and drugs especially if the recipients have history of blowing the money drugs etc.

16. JOHNLGALT

@Ipv6Ready I still haven't figured out how to reply as you do. But this seems to work.

All of the stats you are after can be found at the usdebtclock site, Just put that in a search engine and be fascinated at the numbers. all the best _JOHNLGALT.

p.s. My username has been changed from RNOVARAJOHNLGALT to JOHNLGALT.

17. Ipv6Ready

Nah those figure doesn't alarm me, it's big but America is a big country. But when you divide US debt by 350 million people and compare that Australian debt by 25million, it is just a meh, I'd be more alarmed about NZ.

18. SilverBum

SilverBum New Member

I would agree that US is starting to enter a downturn. However I would argue it isn't a recession but actually a depression.

Ever since the election retail has taken a big hit. Riots,civil unrest, is not a good economic indicator. I ask people like waitress's and waitors and they say there peak times are now the weekend and that is about it.

The fed was "expecting 3% " in first quarter. The very day that the rate hike was officially announced a government agency revised downed to 0.9 %. A reporter actually asked Jamet Yellen about this at her press briefing about the rate hike to which she looked around and then reiterated her confidence in the market.

Why do I believe a depression and not just a recession. Sure we have a large portion of our population in jail. We have prisons for profit in the US. But if you really factor unemployment as you would preBush Jr the rate is over the rate of the 1929 era depression.

Sure we have a media that tells us everything is alright, but they also tell us Killary Klinton was gonna be president. That war is good and personalities in the media are nothing but new Disney characters that are more goofy, outlandish, then the original Goofy himself.

It is my belief that the US Dollar already has lost its world reserve status. Russia and China announced a new clearing bank in the last week. China has not touched the dollar since 2008 all interest payments have been in gold. Iran announced I think there timeline was by June they would stop using the US dollar for Oil.

The US only has two options again IMO. War or hyperinflation just once let them not pick war as I believe Iran would Satelite Nuke us unleashing an EMP in the atmosphere and likely in this scenario 9 of 10 will die within a year.

I am reminded of an old comedian Bill Hicks saying
    "Folks its time to evolve. That's why we're troubled. You know why our institutions are failing us, the church, the state, everything's failing? It's because, um they're no longer relevant. We're supposed to keep evolving. Evolution did not end with us growing opposable thumbs. You do know that, right?"

I am not trying to push the evolution agenda but rather this thought of not only are they no longer relevant but they are designed to fail. Worldwide look at the world and tell me I am wrong.

Bill Hicks also said

"the next revolution is gonna be a revolution of ideas".

19. Ipv6Ready

If America let out all the prisoners, will it enter into a golden era of economic growth, would they contribute enough if at all?

If there is a depression, what comes next a recovery, a boom and a bust for the cycle to go on again or will there be a revolution and will everyone call each other comrades and work for good of each other, be it doctors or street sweepers earning the same every week.

Though after depression USA might recover to find out they are no longer the biggest economy in the world.

20. SilverBum

SilverBum New Member

Also I believe the reason the fed is raising rates is on some level to keep the world perspective that of confident. But also so they can throw 0 interest rates back along with QE what ever number that will be now.

People have said that the dollar collapse will be the one biggest event in human history. I don't have enough of a world view to know if this is accurate or not. I know the impact

Thoughts????

Also the economist magazine in 1988 had a cover of a Phoenix rising from the ashes with a headline of 2018 gold standard. Nearly 20 years and look 20 trillion dollars of debt. I think they were right because they were privy to the plan all that time ago.