Sub $1000 Platinum Wednesday?

Discussion in 'Platinum' started by sterling-nz, Jul 10, 2015.

1. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

I was not able to access my account so jumped on Sterlings to pop in this insight.
    Leon:)

2. -j-p-shmorgan

-j-p-shmorgan New Member

Let me know when I can buy Platinum near spot... lol

3. -j-p-shmorgan

-j-p-shmorgan New Member

Platinum is sold out everywhere. Or you can pay absurd premiums. I've checked like 30-40 suppliers.
    WHY IS THE SPOT PRICE NOT MOVING UP??? lol

Major mining issues in south africa is creating a shortage & the investment demand is clearly there....
    .....and yet, there seems to be a major disconnect in supply/demand setting the spot price.

4. phrenzy

phrenzy In Memoriam - July 2017 Silver Stacker

Partly because it's suffering like the rest of the PMs, partly because the south African mining situation is improved but mostly though it's because it's an industrial metal. It's down for the same reason copper is way down, because car sales don't look good, because industry is lagging and because nobody believes Chinese GDP figures.

5. -j-p-shmorgan

-j-p-shmorgan New Member

Yeah, I'm unaware of any use outside of investment & jewelry for "needing" platinum.
    I have a feeling once we truly NEED it, the price will go to the moon.

6. Porcello

Porcello New Member

I bought a platypus last month, I guess I'll buy another one next week. Worst case scenario I'll refresh our wedding rings... The current ones in white gold don't keep their color and after a couple of months look like rubbish.

7. -j-p-shmorgan

-j-p-shmorgan New Member

That may not be a bad idea.............

Apparently it has several applications. For some reason I thought only palladium was used in catalytic converters, but never realized platinum is too!!

"The number and scope of platinum's industrial uses have skyrocketed during this century to include neurosurgical and dental apparatus, drugs for cancer treatment, computer and automotive equipment. Indeed, one of every five goods either contains or is produced using platinum. One of its most essential uses is in auto catalytic converters. Within autocatalysts, platinum converts harmful emissions into carbon dioxide and water. Nearly one third of newly mined platinum is used in this fashion."
    - sourced from NWT mint

"Automobile Catalyst, Petroleum Industry, Jewelry, Hard discs, Electrical and Electronics, Chemical, Medicine, Fuel Cells, Investments, Glass"
    http://www.totalmateria.com/page.aspx?ID=CheckArticle&site=ktn&NM=237

Looks like I need to hop on board the platinum rocketship before it launches. :D

8. Currawong

Currawong Member Silver Stacker

I've seen quite a few high quality and high duty cycle electrical contactors and relays that contain platinum plated contacts due to its corrosion resistance and conductivity.

9. sterling-nz

This should be top of the bill.
    A sub $1000 call by leon (on my account , lol) and it was CORRECT:)

10. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on the platypus 1oz vs the Baird & Co 1oz certicard bar?
    Doesn't look like there is much demand for premium platinum coins? unlike gold and silver, so perhaps bars are better?
    Only AUD$24 difference in the price though

11. Porcello

Porcello New Member

I'm not gonna buy any more certicards ever. They are just plain ugly, they take too much useless space, and the fact that they need to "certify" anything openly tells you that bars can be easily faked. I'll gladly pay the extra premium.

12. sterling-nz

Having consulted the crystal ball and charts again i am now in the camp of $780 Platinum come October the 14th.
    Seems impossible, but everything being what it is then that's the way it shall be.
    When , AND ONLY WHEN Platinum starts inching up will we see a rise in the rest.
    Platinum is now the market maker and will lead all other metals up OR down.
    Watch this space.

13. -j-p-shmorgan

-j-p-shmorgan New Member

NICE. I'm vowing to not spend any more on PM's until at least Oct.
    I think all the PM's will be ready to rally towards the end of the year.......

....but this sideways action & slow decline in prices makes this decision to hold off quite an easy one.
    Even though prices are great at the moment...they'll be even better soon enough. :)

Edit: 780 platinum, and I'll buy 2-3 more oz. lol

14. sterling-nz

This is something that I DO HAVE SKIN IN THE GAME and i am in no real rush.
    I honestly believe we are heading into substantial drops for all commodities and i do not think it will be a blip but the new norm.
    With everything that has gone on around the world in the last year and prices still dropping i see this as a big trend DOWN.
    With Iran allegedly sorted then more oil on the market will bring those prices down, which n turn bring down prices on ALMOST EVERYTHING ELSE.
    Milk is one of the planets major protein sources and the bottom has dropped out of that market.
    I think between mechanization and lower crude and lower milk EVERYTHING IS COMING DOWN and will be down for years.
    I know a lot can happen in just a single year .
    I think maybe commodities have been overpriced and we ARE JUST RETURNING TO NORMALITY.
    They will come up again , but in years not days or week.
    All speculation on my part of course, but HEY! thats what we are all here to share,(i think)LOL