SMSF performance

Discussion in 'Superannuation' started by switchtronics, Nov 8, 2015.

1. switchtronics

switchtronics Active Member

Hi all. I wanted to start a thread to get feedback on performance, auditing costs of SMSF.

How much is auditing costing you per year and is it easy to arrange?

Are you getting good return from your SMSF via standard funds?

What SMSF company did you use to setup ur fund?

How did you structure your fund e.g. corporate trustees and has it offered you the best flexibility?

Feel free to comment.

2. switchtronics

elemental how's ur fund going? You have good advice on here.

3. switchtronics

What's people's 2017 super resolution

4. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Corp trustee to invest in RE.

Regulatory costs are too expensive and unavoidable, eg 2 lots of ASIC fees per year (one for SMSF Corp Trustee, one for SMSF Holding company for investment property) in the vicinity of $250 each just so ASIC can say we are not trading insolvently. Every year. Every turtle-heading year. Give ASIC $500 for nothing every year. Of course I have to pay my accountant $100 to review and forward the company statement to ASIC. Every goddamn turtle-heading year. At least my accountant is actually doing something in the process.

We're supposed to be trying to save for an independent retirement.

Set it up with eSuper but they had a brain meltdown and abandoned us, run with an accounting/financial adviser now.

5. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

$250 each! I have one at $249 and one at about $49.

Add in an auditing fee and eSuperfunds fee and still isn't that bad. A fair bit of work getting together all the documentation but it gets easier each year.

I begrudge paying anything of course but eSuperfund was about $3000 cheaper than what my financial adviser was going to charge to set one up.

I have many kilos of silver in the smsf and also some real estate, which should be positively geared within nine years.

I am still required to use my industry super so I am not getting maximum use out of my smsf but it is better than nothing at all.

Esuperfund does have some restrictions on what you can invest in and which companies you can use but it hasn't really stopped us from doing what we wanted with the fund.

6. switchtronics

I'm actually looking at re also but do most outside of super atm using super for p.m.s.

7. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Super is ok for buying pms as if you can salary sacrifice then you can buy the pms a bit cheaper than your personal stack.

I have unallocated silver so the storage and insurance are taken care of.

I am using the pms for GSR swaps. So far I have swapped most of my gold for silver, waiting for the gsr to switch so I can get my gold back with extras.

8. rap53

rap53 New Member

Started SMSF September 2016 - Using esuperfund. Average annual return running at 40.6% excl. admin costs & capital gains tax, Investing in stocks, 60% ASX listed small / mid cap, 40% US mid cap. Now looking to transfer 5-10% of portfolio to gold......Will do this over 5-10 years. I think putting all ones eggs into precious metals will not provide reasonable returns in the long run....

There is no way large super funds can achieve returns above 15% pa because they are so large, and are unable to invest in small, high growth businesses. One big advantage of SMSF.

9. Markco2

Markco2 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hey Jislizard,

I have been in eSuperfund for about 9 years.
    Up to now, I have only been using it to trade shares on the ASX.
    May have to diversify the way things are heading.
    As well, I also have an industry superfund which I am forced to be in.
    Not real happy about the returns.
    Am thinking of transferring some money from the industry fund into my eSuperfund account.
    Interestingly, the industry superfund has documentation for transferring funds out of another fund
    into it's account. Can't see any documentation or restrictions on transferring it out, apart from Covid-19.

Cheers Markco2

66rounds likes this.