Scrap Metal Industry - Legislation - 01 March 2017

Discussion in 'Other Investments' started by Holdfast, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Scrap Metal Industry
    Scrap Metal Industry Act 2016

A Bill to regulate the scrap metal industry was passed by the NSW Parliament on 14 September 2016 and subsequently assented to by the Governor on 21 September 2016.

It is proposed that the legislation will commence on 1 March 2017.

Regulatory measures provided for by the Act include:

*Require persons who carry on a business of dealing in scrap metal (scrap metal dealers) to register the business with the Commissioner of Police.
    *Prohibit scrap metal dealers from paying cash for scrap metal.
    *Require scrap metal dealers to keep and maintain records of transactions for buying scrap metal, including details of the person selling the scrap metal.
    *Require scrap metal dealers to report suspicious transactions to the police.
    *Prohibit scrap metal dealers from accepting a motor vehicle (or any motor vehicle body, engine or chassis) as scrap metal if it does not display its identification details.
    *Provide for short-term and long-term closure orders in respect of premises at which a scrap metal business is being carried on if the business is not registered under the proposed *Act or serious criminal offences have been committed on the premises.
    *Authorise police officers without a warrant to enter premises at which a scrap metal business is being carried on to investigate contraventions of the proposed Act and to search, take photographs and recordings and seize and copy records; and to provide for other regulatory measures in respect of the scrap metal industry.

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/community_issues/scrap_metal_industry

2. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Is that normal or just something they are going to do to scrap metal businesses?

If they suspect something dodgy is going on why can't they get a warrant? Is it due to the liquidity of scrap metal or some thing else that can be done with scrap metal in a very short space of time?

3. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The police already have the power to do that with certain types of businesses. It's certainly the case with venues that serve alcohol and it's a bit of a hassle, but it does weed out dodgy operators.

Some of the other measures seem a bit silly though. What's the problem with paying cash if the seller can identify themselves and the buyer can keep a record of their ID?

And a wrecked car might not have identification details by virtue of the fact that it's a massive chunk of twisted, rusted metal. You can document it as best you can and take photos of it so that someone can track it back later if there's a problem and still be able to accept it as scrap for recycling.

4. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBiJB8YuDBQ[/youtube]

5. Phil_Stacker

Phil_Stacker New Member

Precious metals - even when scrap - are not the same as standard metals. An un-named waste company made squillions under-the-counter in scrap metal and used the waste management company to launder the money.

Me personally - I don't care if they track every transaction I make because I am 100% above board. I don't "like" the government constantly keeping track of me and my assets, but I would prefer that to people draining money out of the economy at my expense.

6. ozziestacka

ozziestacka New Member

Australian govt is a joke.