Royal Mint attempting to Redefine "Legal Tender" for Collector Coins

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by lostwords, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Radio8tiv

Radio8tiv Active Member

I wish we could that here, I would like to rack up thousands of frequent flyer miles for next to no cost.

2. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

3. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

Don't they have to pay a royalty on these coins?
    In that case they are losing money.

4. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

The $20 face value RCM coins are 1/4 oz silver only. I don't think many collectors are into 1/4 oz silver coins especially if they are prone to milk spotting.....maybe that's why sales were poor.

5. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I didn't notice any milkspotting but then the coins are pretty small. I will go back and have a look.

They would have to pay for the silver and the license, but they wouldn't have to pay the $20 face value. I don't think they have to pay anyone $20 when they print a paper note so they probably have something similar in place for a $20 coin. If the coins were likely to be spent then it would cost them money for sure but I guess they never expected them to be spent or returned.

It would lose them money when they have to give the $20 back to the unhappy customer because then the licence money would be wasted, but at least they would have the silver back.

I Wouldn't mind picking some up at close to spot price but with a $20 face value they couldn't be sold for under $20 or they would keep getting cashed in at the bank.

Shame as I wouldn't have minded buying an Australia version of this if they were to be come available but it looks very unlikely now.