Provident Metals' New Silver Round

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by jchrisrobledo, Apr 17, 2015.

1. jchrisrobledo

jchrisrobledo Member

2. SILVERCOINSSHOW

SILVERCOINSSHOW New Member

Skull , not again !!! That was my first thought, but when I checked the reverse I changed my mind. I think in this round "high relief" is going to be real high relief, since the round has 40mm in diameter. If anybody will get these rounds, please share pics.

3. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

2oz! Interesting.

And skulls seem to be the in-thing at the moment.

4. jchrisrobledo

jchrisrobledo Member

Well it's 2 oz, so that is why it's 40 mm.. right?
    Sorry, I have never really understood the term 'high relief'. I thought it meant that it was like, extra detail and design was more sharp and clear? Like, struck twice? Or is that only for proofs?
    Sorry, I have only been stacking for a year now and have never purchased a coin stating it was 'high relief' or in this case 'ultra' haha.

And it's in pre-sale at the moment, but I already placed my order! They will be out on the 20th of the month so I will definitely put up pics as soon as I get mine.
    I'm pretty excited about it! :)

5. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

High relief means higher high points. Compared to let's say American Eagles, it's sort of like impasto painting vs regular painting.

6. SILVERCOINSSHOW

SILVERCOINSSHOW New Member

Yahoo answers:
    "The images on the coin are raised higher than the outer edge of the coin. These images stick out so much that you cannot stack these coins on top of each other without having the stack wobble. Therefore, you cannot stack them very high. The images of these coins are more three dimensional than images on regular coins. "

"There are few coins in high relief, but most medals are... Coins in high relief take a lot more pressure to strike as well as the dies do not lat very long."

7. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

1oz coins are 39-40mm anyway so having a 2oz coin of the same diameter means it is twice as thick. So the detail can also be twice as thick, meaning more depth to the image.

Many of the high relief coins I have come across are odd looking, like a concave mirror, but they have all been 1oz, so small diameter.

Looking forward to this one.

Yahoo wrong :( or at least not right in every instance.

The ones I have seen have a thick edge and the detail is all below the rim, you could stack them I guess but all mine are in capsules and I only have a few.

I haven't seen all of them though and from looking at the posts on the Chinese Medals they are much different from the Perth Mint High Relief.

8. jchrisrobledo

jchrisrobledo Member

Yeah, that's why I asked here. I could have Googled it but can never trust some answers or know if they are reliable.

But that makes sense! It is the same diameter so it has to be thicker. It will probably be struck harder and thus, like mmissinglink said, it has higher high points.

However, I can understand that Yahoo! answer though.. with the higher high points and the image having depth cause it's struck harder, I guess it can sorta be seen as three-dimensional.

9. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

Well Zodiac skull was release I wrote I'm afraid we will have skulls now on every "second" coin. :)

I like the pirate "theme" and the reverse seems interesting. I just hope there will be less problems with milk spots than with Zombucks.

10. Northerncoins

Northerncoins New Member Silver Stacker

I really like these, but with no stated mintage or date on the round they are not as appealing as they could have been.

11. silverbullion

silverbullion New Member

12. silverbullion

silverbullion New Member

I don't understand why they left the date out, but in terms of no stated mintage, it definitely ties in with their aim to offer high quality, investment grade bullion at cost-effective prices.

13. Northerncoins

Well having no mintage or unlimited mintage doesn't tie in with my idea of investment grade bullion, I would have bought a bunch of these already if there was a reasonable mintage number, but now I likely wont buy many , plus now I am in no rush to pick some up.

14. silverbullion

silverbullion New Member

Investment grade has to do with the quality in this instance, not the mintage, but I hear you.

15. jchrisrobledo

jchrisrobledo Member

16. jchrisrobledo

jchrisrobledo Member

And another note, does there being no date make much of a difference?
    It's a generic round. This isn't a Silver Eagle or a Libertad. It's not of a country so doesn't need a date.
    There are many generic rounds like from OPM and others that is just a plain bullion round.

And to talk about mintage a bit.. I currently am invested in their Zombucks and Hercules series and they do the same process.
    They mint them 'to order' so to say. And at the end, they release the mintage number. Most of their coins average 40,000.
    This might be different and take off in popularity but I don't see it going over 70 or 80K.

17. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Seems like a decent price for a decent round.

18. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I just bought it. Nothing wrong to buy it since it so close to spot for a high relief silver round.

19. silverbullion

silverbullion New Member

You're most welcome. Yeah, I suppose privateer has a better ring to it. :D

20. Northerncoins

Probably will be less finale mintage since its a 2oz verse 1oz. Still think a date would have been nice but i guess if they just change the ship or skull a bit on the next ones will be enough to determine the year on the round , if they indeed make another one next year. I assume this will be a yearly thing if its a hit.