Olympic Rolls

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by The_Roll_ Man, Mar 7, 2017.

1. The_Roll_ Man

The_Roll_ Man Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

2. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

They are only rare because the seller has chosen to make them rare, there is nothing to stop the seller making up a few more rolls every time they need spending money for a weekend away.

So the scarcity is artificial and subject to third party risk.

There is no proof that the rolls are actually full of the same coins, all you have is the word of someone who seems to make rolls for a living.

They are not official so come more into the realms of a 'fantasy' product. However having a RAM $2 wrapper on them would push them into fakes in my opinion, the coins are real, the wrappers may well be real but a roll of coins that is made to look like a RAM product but isn't a RAM product is certainly treading the line.

The coins themselves were readily available in uncirculated condition and very few made it into circulation from my experience.

They do look well rolled, the wrappers look official as well.

All in all I would avoid them but I don't really go out of my way to collect rolls anyway.

I also think that once the RAM floods the market with coloured $2 coins each year the novelty will wear off and the prices will drop the same as they have for most RAM products like Philatelic Numismatic Covers (PNC)s and Non Circulating Legal Tender (NCLT) which I have seen offered for sale below cost price.

3. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

atleast they hv face value of $300AUD... so you're ok if no one collects these anymore.. coffee money :D

4. chicken12

chicken12 Member

Surely they are not aloud to do this with RAM paper?

5. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I hadn't bothered to add them up :)

Fair goes to the seller for finding a market and filling it.

He should more than double his money to pay off the effort of getting hold of the coins. I assume he didn't make thousands of purchases at Woolies to collect them, I assume he had someone on the inside willing to risk chastisement if they got caught selling these instead of distributing them as instructed.

Then procuring the RAM wrappers, then going to the effort of wrapping them and finally putting them up for sale and giving away up to about 12% to eBay and Paypal.

Not something I would do.

6. The_Roll_ Man

The_Roll_ Man Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well, I count myself lucky ....

I bid up to $751. on those rolls, then I contacted the seller again.

He told me, he obtained six 2015 $2. 'Orange Ring' rolls, then opened one end and slid the coins out.

He then refilled the 'rolls' with the Olympic coins, then resealed the rolls.

But somebody else 'won' them for $761.

7. Sa_bogan

Sa_bogan Active Member Silver Stacker

It's good to see that these coins are still selling. Had a look on eBay and they are getting at least double face value. I ended up with a fair few of the first 2 colors then only got some of the rest. Also bought 3 or 4 different coin sets before they sold out.