No more white spots for Maples?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by barsenault, Feb 13, 2018.

1. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

2. Silverling

Silverling Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

3. whay

whay Well-Known Member

"All Silver Maple Leaf bullion coins dated 2018 and later are now protected with MINTSHIELD, significantly reducing the occurrence of white spots. "
    I prefer buying coins that are not vaccinated!

4. SlyGuy

SlyGuy Active Member

Wow. I thought maples were the best govt bullion 1oz all along (highest face value, decent art, lowest premium usually)... and this new tech is just icing on the cake.

If this MintShield proves to prevent or greatly reduce spotting and the Canada coins stay cheaper than other bullion, I really have no reason to ever buy anything else. Time will tell.

I have a few spotted 2017 and older maples but no 2018s so far. Has anyone run into spots on 2018s?

5. leo25

leo25 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I've always wondered why Maples get all the heat. Philharmonics, Kangaroos and Queen's Beasts also have issues. So it's not something unique to maples. My guess is other mints are replicating a cost cutting technique and the known trade off is milk spots.

The best method I've found so far to remove most milk stains is first rub hot water and bicarb paste onto the coin. Rinse, then use a slightly damp magic sponge/eraser to buff the coin. This technique doesn't destroy the coin like an eraser does.

6. leo25

I found this nasty 2010 coin a few month ago.

maple.jpg

7. Silverling

And the American Silver Eagles but yes, you are right they all get the milk spots.

What I have noticed is that a lot of Perth Mint silver coins in capsules don't get the milk spots. I mean, I got capsuled coins from the 90's with no tarnishing. Question, why don't they just encapsulate everything and most of the problems would be gone? On a production line with millions of coins being banged out daily surely it wouldn't cost that much to have them all with a capsule.

Anyhow, good question:
    Has anyone run into spots on 2018s?
    Wonder if it works, might take a couple more years to find out.

SlyGuy likes this.
  8. Silverling

Example of my above quote:

I got a tube of 2017 Maples, nearly all have milk spots.

I have a roll of 2011 koalas (with Perth Mint Capsules) no milk spots.

Seems to work.

9. leo25

I don't think having them in capsules would help. I've had coins in captures that still develop milk spots. My guess would be that Perth Mint are cutting corners for the kangaroos in order to bring the cost down (to be fair, they are a very low premium coin). So even if they were put in capsules, they would still develop milk spots over time.

SlyGuy likes this.
  10. whay

whay Well-Known Member

What!?! Maples with no milk spots? They must be FAKES from China! No spotting-no maples.

sammysilver and SlyGuy like this.
  11. SlyGuy

SlyGuy Active Member

Yeah, milk spotting is generally considered to be from a rinse detergent or something that is on the coin that gets baked on to the coin surface at the mint to begin with... it can visually show up immediately or years later. :confused:

I can echo that I have also had many coins (mostly maple, ASE, phil, few brits) that looked great going into the capsule develop spots or toning later. The capsules seem to decrease the likelihood of spots/toning... and they obviously prevent scratches, though, so I still use them. At the end of the day, silver tarnishes... that is the nature of the beast. I still plan to always use capsules and try to buy the best looking govt bullion that I can.

The people who do high premium numi stuff in silver continue to baffle me. I can't imagine paying big bucks for graded coins (or pristine ones to send for grading) - only to have them potentially showing spotted face or ugly toning later when I hoped to sell for high premium price.

Ikr? I am seriously skeptical of people selling mixed lots of Maples on eBay if they don't have at least a few spotted, lmao. This will be a game-changer for my buying patterns if Maples continue to be at or near cheapest of govt coins AND they eliminated or drastically reduced spotting. Not holding my breath though! o_O

12. leo25

I picked up a few 2018 Maples just to see if they will develop milky spots. Now to wait a year to see if anything develops.

SlyGuy likes this.
  13. slide95

slide95 New Member

I have a Japanese Maple that sounds like it has a similar problem. The tree is planted in a corner where my garage and front room come together and gets full sun in the morning and shade in late afternoon. It has probably been underwatered this summer because I discovered the drip system in that area was broken.

Also, it may be unrelated, but I planted three Azeleas around the perimeter of that tree, and two of them died. The third one is just hanging on. The leaves on the plants died and fell off, except for ones on the last few inches of each branch.

Attached is an image of the maple leaf. I appreciate any info you can provide about the problem.

14. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If your Japanese maple is sprouting coins...I'll take a cutting pls.

Silver260 and leo25 like this.
  15. slide95

slide95 New Member

Also, it may be unrelated, but I planted three Azeleas around the perimeter of that tree, and two of them died. The third one is just hanging on. The leaves on the plants died and fell off, except for ones on the last few inches of each branch.

Attached is an image of the maple leaf. I appreciate any info you can provide about the problem.

Tutuapp 9apps Showbox