NGC Chinese Pandas: 2017 Pandas Take the Stage

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by Pandacollector, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Pandacollector

Pandacollector Active Member

2. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Hello Peter. I hope you are well my friend. Thanks for posting.

Does 'mint state' mean spot free? :))

3. Pandacollector

It means B.U. (Brilliant Uncirculated) rather than proof quality.

Best wishes,
    Peter Anthony
    China Pricepedia
    www.pandacollector.com

4. barsenault

It appears you didn't answer the question. Lol. Spot free? Any guarantee from the mints yet? After all, they are charging $7.00 over spot in many cases...well, the dealers are, but that's because the mints are charging a higher premium. When will the chinese mints guarantee against spots or cut down on the premium?

5. Pandacollector

B.U. does not mean spot free. It is a description of coin condition based on the manufacturing process.

Here is a definition of BU: "A BU coin is a coin that has never been circulated and retains all of its original mint luster. BU stands for "Brilliant Uncirculated" and is sometimes used interchangeably with Mint State." (from About.com)

So, technically, B.U. Pandas are meant to circulate, although of course they don't. Would you like to see a photo of a circulated silver Panda?

[​IMG]
    Source: www.pandacollector.com

It "circulated" in my pocket for a couple of months. Now it's maybe XF-AU, haha.

By the way, does any world mint offer a guarantee against spots?

The Mint sold out of silver Pandas pretty quickly last year. That doesn't lead me to expect reduced premiums any time soon, but your guess is as good as mine.

Best wishes,
    Peter Anthony
    China Pricepedia
    www.pandacollector.com

6. barsenault

Lol. Yeah man. I get it. Of course you know I'm having fun. I doubt any mint will ever guarantee against spots/stains. I heard that they sold out of the silver pandas in June of this year, not sure if that is true. I bought a few of the silver pandas. They're okay. I won't be buying more than a few. Just not crazy about the same ole same ole design. They need to use a little more creativity. I don't mean to say that the last 4 are the SAME design, but many elements are: BORING. Lol. I won't be 'wasting' my money on these high premium coins, that aren't even a full oz, yet cost a 'ton' more than other bullion coins. Thanks Peter. Always a pleasure my friend.