Newish to Stacking! Thoughts or Advice Please

Discussion in 'Silver' started by woodrow64, Mar 1, 2017.

1. woodrow64

woodrow64 New Member

I am a new stacker as of about 5 months ago. I became interested after reading of our fiat currency here in the US and wanted to put some of my money each month into precious metals. Since gold is a little too expensive for me, and because of the value I see in silver, here I am. I have mostly bought from local coin stores and a guy at the flea market (he is reputable). I was hoping to get some feedback about my current stack and gather some different opinions and ideas on stacking. I generally pay 2.25-3 dollars over spot for eagles and 2.25 over spot for engelhards. I have taken an approach to try and diversify my stack without paying too much of a premium. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to the interaction.

My current stack includes:
    5- 10 oz Engelhard Bars
    2- 5 oz Highland Mint Morgan Bars
    40- 2016 ASE
    10- 2015 ASE
    10- 2002 ASE
    2- 1 oz generic bars
    10- 1 oz Generic Rounds
    4- 1 oz 2017 Roosters
    3- 1 oz 2016 Kookaburras
    1- 1 oz 2001 Kookaburra
    2- 1 oz 2016 Kangaroos
    2- 1 oz 2008 Philharmonics
    1- 1 oz 2015 Philharmonic
    1- 1 oz 2016 Philharmonic

3.10 Face Value 90% (4 Washington Quarters, 11 Eis Dimes and a Peace Dollar

2. fscked

fscked Member

Your stack seems like a good base to build from. I think there are two main strategies for stacking, bulk low premium or semi-numis. I try to go for a bit of a mix.

3. Silverbandit007

Silverbandit007 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Nice stack, my opinion is to just stack what you like.

Limey likes this.
  4. woodrow64

woodrow64 New Member

Thanks. I have been trying to stick to things I like. I do intend on bulking up on generic rounds and bars at as low a cost as possible. I plan on buying for the long term. Cheers

5. REDBACK

REDBACK Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Advice~You're going to need a bigger safe real soon!
    ;)

REDBACK

6. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny Well-Known Member

Looks good to me! Nice beginnings! Miles ahead of the sheeple. When I saw the 2016 Kook design, it was all I bought. I see that as the next 2008. After seeing the design of the 2017 Kook, I patted myself on the back.

I think you've done well and at the end of the day it's your stack, mate. Take care and be smart.

7. woodrow64

woodrow64 New Member

Redback: storage so far isn't bad. Guns outweigh the silver so far, so we shall see. I look forward to that day though.

PPSS: I do really like the 2016 Kooks. I actually found them about a month ago and the guy sold them to me for 20 a piece. I like the lunar a and Perth mint designs. Going to try and buy quality of the lunar sand flip every 18 months. Not sure if that's a great strategy, but I see the lunar a jump in value bc of mintage. Any thoughts there. I will still, of course be buying ase and generic rounds. Along with englehards, I really do like them.

8. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Good start! Keep it up while prices are artificially low. Who knows when things go pear shaped in the US and elsewhere.

9. millededge

millededge Active Member

Rough reckoning: you have around 180 ozt, on the road to 6kg, which is a nice start.

Work out what your goal is.

Try to get a sense of the markets for numi, semi-numi and raw bullion in all forms.

Study the graphs of the POS, the history, have in mind the margin between buy and sell.

Aim to capitalise on the best options in the country you live in. APMEX is a place I would buy from if in the USA.

Numis should be considered, after some reading. The appreciation on higher end items can be far greater than bullion content.

Your idea to keep premiums low is a sound starting point.

10. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Whether what you are buying are the "right" things really depends on a number of factors including but not limited to your goals, your beliefs, your location, and your age.....your goals and beliefs being the most important.