New Postage Rates from USA to AUS

Discussion in 'USA & Canada (Public)' started by jcz1, Jan 18, 2016.

1. jcz1

jcz1 Member

I don't know where to post this, but I thought the info was useful enough to endure the wrath of being told that this is not the right place. (Mods - please move to the proper location - thanks!)

For those in AUS who buy from USA, including via ebay, our postage rates just went up. On the low end, they nearly doubled! Ebay will now charge you a minimum of $13.75 (all rates are in USD) for a 2-ounce package from USA to AUS. :(

The only good news is that this rate now covers up to 8 ounces (typically 6 1-ounce rounds/coins without capsules). So whenever possible, it makes sense to combine purchases into one shipment. But be careful, because 9 ounces is now $22.75, though that covers up to 32 ounces.

These rates are for shippers who use First Class International. Ebay also has something called a Global Shipping Program which is typically higher, and includes duties, etc. I don't know much about that because I refuse to use it.

Hope this info is helpful. If not, my apologies.

SilverDelta, Holdfast and sammysilver like this.
  2. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

I used to send a lot of parcels to Australia (sales and forwarding packages to forum members). The rate increases over the years have destroyed my business with everyone in Australia and other international spots.

My advice for anyone that purchases frequently from US sellers is to have your items delivered to someone you trust to hold until the shipment is large enough to warrant the cost of shipping on to you. For example, the Small Flat Rate box can be maxed out at 4 lbs (64 oz), and is now $34.95. Only a few years ago this same parcel was $14 to ship.

3. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Can't remember the last time I ordered 8 ounces from America.

4. jcz1

jcz1 Member

I've been using the small flat rate box to send items to a customer who piles things up with me until enough accumulates to ship. However, there is a max USD value for that box of $400, so I have been putting 24 ounces in the box. (Back at $16/oz USD this was just under $400 - for silver of course.)

I worry about customs in USA or AUS opening the box, so I prefer not to lie about the value.

5. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

And international priority mail does not include tracking. For tracking, you have to use priority mail express at a price of $63.50. The governmental solution to everything is to raise fees and taxes. All the USPS is going to accomplish is to reduce business with AU and hasten the end of the USPS.

jcz1 does the ebay shipping include insurance and tracking?

6. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

well at least there is one ebay user in the states who refuse to use ebay's global shipping program. these days almost everyone uses that from the states which stopped me to buy anything from there..not like I bought so much :p like to keep it locally ;)

no need to worry,auspost is increasing their prices all the time so everyone suffers everywhere...

thanks for the info anyway

7. Eliassamaha

Eliassamaha Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Interesting so it's the seller who chooses the global shipping program

Do they know that it's a ripoff

8. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

At some Las Vegas strip joint? :lol:

9. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

pashol nahoo

10. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

pashol nahoo

11. SilverMatt

SilverMatt Active Member

Can I ask - what are the most common companies used for postage from USA to AUS? Is it USPS? UPS? I would like to send back about 12kg to Aus but USPS says that they dont allow bullion. Is there any way around this? The reason I am asking is because I am as Aussie - have a lot of bullion in the US that I am trying to figure out how to get it back to Aus as my hand luggage will already be maxed out.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  12. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

I'm not sure if all parcels are now subject to 10%GST... Would they count 9999 BU as GST free?

13. JNS

JNS Active Member Silver Stacker

Just paid this amount last Sunday for 2 oz graded coin, via ebay, shipment from USA to my country priority mail express with tracking.
    Painful amount but i just need the coin to complete a collection.

payment.jpg

Holdfast likes this.
  14. oddpour

oddpour New Member

Wow, that seems _really_ high doesn't it? I cringe when I see $30 USD (usually UK -> USA and AUS -> USA), $50 USD seems really high, doesn't it? But then again, if it's an old or uncommon coin and you got a good deal on it, the shipping that high is just sort of paying the price for your good luck. :) I've won a few eBay coin auctions like that, it's been surprising.

JNS likes this.
  15. JNS

JNS Active Member Silver Stacker

Yes, Europe to Asia Rates about less 30USD, registered and tracked. I am doing it same from bidding but takes so long time to arrive, USA-Asia is much faster but need to use the global shipping rate and system, same with UK-Asia but in my country this UK rate does not work or suspended.

Holdfast likes this.
  16. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

I normally ask US sellers if they can use other that eBay global shipping, mainly cause they just bunch of rip-offs... EBay put comm ontop of it, for just being eBay