Misconceptions About Coin Collecting

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by mmissinglink, Mar 2, 2017.

1. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Presented by the ANA (I am not affiliated in any way with the ANA):

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2017
  2. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

For beginners, buy coins that you know are not counterfeit. Modern coins from reputable dealers or preferably from the Mint are the way to go.

Plunging in to buying old expensive coins can, in some instances, leave you out of pocket.

My advice would be, select a modern theme you like, learn about the coins or coin and only then, purchase. (remember fools rush in) and finally, buy coins with a clear objective and know yourself.

If you are a collector, "collect", if you are stacking for armageddon, "cheers", if you buy to flip, "flip" but most of all be a realist. :)

3. Scottspurs

Scottspurs Active Member

I am very new to coin collecting and have been helped alot by a friend who is also a member here.

My hints from a total newbie
    As was said above choose a country you like
    Buy high mintage coins with low collectable
    Have fun
    And go from there. If there is something I like and it's expensive, which is over $30 for me, so research on known fakes and check for discrepancies

4. Coins A-Z

Coins A-Z Active Member

mmissinlink, that's an interesting video. From my experience, collecting coins, as opposed to investing in silver coins, should be at least as much about the enjoyment of what you buy as it is about how much you spend and how much (if at all) the coin may appreciate in value.

My YouTube channel is soon set to have it's first official video completed and uploaded soon. On the channel I will discuss this issue and numerous other issues about coins as well as about stacking.
    My channel can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCE1Kt2mfBKL9mw-4PpEmnfA