Maps & Mapping

Discussion in 'Prospecting & Detecting' started by 10ozhound, Aug 24, 2014.

1. 10ozhound

10ozhound Active Member

G'day all,
    After a search or two on mapping I thought we might aswell have a thread to share knowledge.

Recently I've been enlisted with the job of charting a map for a venture.
    Looking for a program/app that can be used for this.
    Also keen to discuss anyone's experience with web based map creators etcetera.

I currently use a simple yet buggy app called "my maps" it uses google of course and allows me to draw lines and add place markers at points with descriptions.

Any one know of or have experience with other types?

2. smk762

smk762 Active Member Silver Stacker

I'm a cartographer by trade. The best freeware geographic information system (GIS) software is Quantum GIS (QGIS). It's available in beta for android last I looked, and will import GPS data into a desktop environment.
    A worthy mention also goes to OziExplorer for portable devices ($25 last I checked). For web-based stuff, check out www.govhack.org/howto#geographical-data-tools
    Good luck, happy to lend a hand if needed to get you started (or in exchange for silver if you need more than that ;)

3. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

4. Maxwell

Maxwell New Member

Sorry, slightly off topic....

I rang the state government map supplier to buy some paper maps in 1/25000 scale in an area I metal detect, I have multiple GPS's, but have always preferred a paper map in a waterproof folder with me as well.

Anyway, I get through to "customer service' and the customer service officer asks me what I want them for. I told him I own land in the area, and I want the maps, mentioned it wasn't really any of his business. He then replies, I don't think that's an acceptable reason ???

Max proceeds to tell said public servant I wasn't asking permission and have no interest in his thoughts on the matter, Public servant replies something along the lines of, " this phone call is now terminated' and hung up??

I then rang back with steam emanating from ears and demanded to the speak to the manager, I relayed the story and was directed to another customer service officer who sent the nearly $300 worth of maps I wanted overnight to me, the delivery was free, the guy couldn't have been more helpful.

I asked the manager what the first fools problem was, and the second customer service officer, neither would answer.

The maps are of fairly remote bushland, and a known gold producing area, they maps don't cover any sort of facility I would consider 'sensitive'

I'm hoping it was simply a case of lazy fool public servant, not some new edict 'they' are still interpreting.

Sorry about the derailment, just seemed opportune to mention it I don't have any idea ??

Regards

Max

I have aslo been thinking about this http://www.gpsoz.com.au/tracks4australia/

Anyone tried them?

5. JohnRallyTo

JohnRallyTo New Member

to mmm_shiney! et. al. My company just acquired Maps-N-Trax from its original developer. Here is a link to our website:
    http://rallyto.com/maps-n-trax/

Maps N Trax is an offline map viewer--you load in your digital map images and view them on your iOS device. It works with a variety of digital formats and can even use a paper map (converted to an image file). Record trax and waypoints as well.

We are keen on hearing from customers about their experiences. Feel free to reach out...
    John at RallyTo

6. SilverTabbyCat

SilverTabbyCat New Member

If you got the money, then ESRI ArcMap is good...