Looking from some advice, from the uneducated in Silver!

Discussion in 'Antique Silver' started by jamesgodfrey, Aug 14, 2016.

1. jamesgodfrey

jamesgodfrey New Member

Hi all,

My better halfs mum has a lot of old Silver - she is getting on and is now moving house, so wants to sell the silver. However we aren't really sure how to go about getting stuff valued or sold. On the one hand we think get some local people round to value, but then the mum is worried about people knowing she has this Silver. So we were also wondering about a London based auction or similar (we are home counties based).

I thought that I'd ask the experts! So would appreciate your advice. I'm posting a sample of some of the items here - this is a sample from 2 of 12 boxes of stuff. As we don't know whether these are nice pieces or not.

She has lived in the UK for 50 years, but originates from wealthy Canadian family, so I think some of the items are Canadian (e.g. Birks).

So - would appreciate;
    Advice on what the items are - valuable or not?
    Advice on how to go about getting all items valued / sold?

I hope this sort of post / question is OK. If not please let me know. Also hope the pictures post OK.

Many thanks,

James.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. shinymetal

shinymetal Well-Known Member

hey, i would say the EP is plated. EP= electroplate. and EPNS is electroplate nickle silver.
    on the napkin ring, the lion means silver, the anchor means birmingham. the f means facebook made it.
    the birks sterling stuff, from a quick google is an american maker of silver stuff, it's pretty nice stuff.
    all the cutlery is plated.

3. jamesgodfrey

jamesgodfrey New Member

Great - thanks for your help.

I have since found out F = 1905 (or facebook!)