Looking for coins

Discussion in 'Prospecting & Detecting' started by somethingsilverrelated, Apr 9, 2014.

1. somethingsilverrelated

somethingsilverrelated Member Silver Stacker

Hey I know there have been previous posts on the topic however just wanted to check...

Looking for a cheap beginners detector for a bit of coin hunting at parks/beaches etc...

Any recommendations?

Anyone looking to sell??:D

2. bja

bja Member Silver Stacker

Whats your price range? Detectors like most things are you get what you pay for, that said it probably isnt worth spending 3K to find $50 worth of junk silver.

3. Sa_bogan

Sa_bogan Active Member Silver Stacker

I've been using an Excalibur 1000 on the beach and have found 63 silver coins in 5 weeks and around $700 worth in gold and silver jewellery. If your going to do parks a garret from the ace series would be the way to go for cost

4. Sa_bogan

But if your looking to do the beach you will need something half decent that won't false out

5. somethingsilverrelated

I really want to stay sub $500 I think. Its possibly something I won't stick to so want to see if I like it first.
    The Garret Ace series seems to be around my range... Are these no good for the beach?

Thats a pretty good haul for only a short time!!

6. Sa_bogan

My old man ha a Garrett 350 ace and found plenty of coins at the parks. It works on dry sand no problems but it doesn't like went sand were a lot of the good targets are. I had a 705 xterra as my starter and had a similar issue with wet sand. To be honest don't expect to be pulling 100's of coins to begin with especially at parks were there are a lot of pull tabs and bottle tops. You really want to have the drive to do it and one thing you will eventually need is a pro pointer to pin point shallow coins and then use a screw driver to pop them out.

7. somethingsilverrelated

Thanks for the pointers!

8. jav71

jav71 New Member

I swing a used Minelab Explorer 2 that I paid $400 for. I started with a $1,000 Whites DFX which now sits in the closet getting dusty. I have dug hundreds of silvers in the last couple years, not to mention tons of relics. Beach hunting really doesnt interest me as Im more of a history buff. I suggest you start with something inexpensive, if you like it go from there, good luck!

9. Sa_bogan

i would have to say most either in the water or wet sand - i seem to only find modern coins in the dry sand and a lot of crap targets like foil and pull tabes. I now have the ctx 3030 and BBS and FBS is the way to go :D