Housing Affordability Crisis - Double Take Ep01 - Topher Field

Discussion in 'YouTube Digest' started by yennus, Apr 21, 2017.

1. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Topher tackles the housing affordability crisis and reveals a little known housing affordability scheme which is subsidizing millions of Australians living expenses.

Clawhammer and mmm....shiney! like this.
  2. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

He doesn't mention that the reason landlords are losing money on the house is to get a tax break, they pay money to a private company instead of to the public coffers, which would go towards infrastructure.

Also doesn't address any link between investors pushing prices up so that they are out of reach of the poor.

Very one sided

3. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

We don't have an affordability crisis, we have a desirability crisis.

wrcmad and House like this.
  4. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Surgeon on $400k who negatively gears "saves" about $6k on tax. So *only* ends up paying $165k in tax. I highly doubt that $6k would make any difference in the public coffers the way they waste it. Rather see that surgeon put it back into the economy in a way that might actually make a difference. Doubt he'd contribute to a $700k pile of rocks ;)

There's plenty of places that are available for 'the poor'. The way we lived 200 years ago would be considered to be 'extreme poverty' today yet it was the norm then.
    And it's not only the poor who rent, a significant amount of middle income earners also do.

Affordability rhetoric seems to correlate with household savings ratio... how odd :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

And no idea where he got the $11bn from... it's actually around $3.5bn. And each one of those investors paid about $20k in stamp duty to the Gov... $20k x 1.2m? Not a bad income at all.

Jislizard and mmm....shiney! like this.
  5. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Surgeon on $400k only saves 6k in tax, he should talk to my guy :)

My wife and I (glorified admin workers) have a combined salary of about $150k. Two negatively geared properties costing around $15k each in mortgage repayments and get a rebate of around $30k between us. I am certainly not in it because I like maintaing property or providing cheap houses for poor people.

True that the gov would only waste it though, at least the bankers are spending it on stripers and cocaine.

I just think that by not addressing those issues in the video it looks like he is trying to avoid them.