gpx5000

Discussion in 'Prospecting & Detecting' started by thefitter, Nov 11, 2016.

1. thefitter

thefitter Member

hey all, just bought this detector ,what coils are peaple using

2. betterlatethannever

betterlatethannever New Member

You will probably get a better response from - propectingaustralia - hope this helps :)

3. betterlatethannever

Can I "assume" that you are looking for some yella stuff,and approximately where ??????

4. betterlatethannever

So you sorted out your car,good luck.

I bet you will sleep well when you come home :)

5. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Good luck nugget hunter!!
    Look forward to seeing your results :)

6. betterlatethannever

Maybe you can get a kilo of bottle tops,ring pulls,bullet and nails and call it - a mixed lot :lol: postage included :D

7. betterlatethannever

I hate saying this but my bet is this - you will "be forced" to give up well before you find even 1oz of Gold - unless you research,research and you guessed it research - plus travelling to a Gold bearing area like Kalgoorlie or the Golden triangle you will likely really struggle :/

Do you know that 9 of the 10 biggest Gold nuggets have been found in the Golden Triangle in Victoria.

As I see it that is the only good thing that has come out of Victoria :lol:

Life is an education whether we like it or not.

Please feel free to slap me if you want,but it is very unlikely that I will turn the other check :D

Good luck anyway :)

8. Sa_bogan

Sa_bogan Active Member Silver Stacker

I can say that you have to put the time in for any reward and you can research and read all day long but you can't find it if you don't walk over it. I have found well over an ounce of gold on the beaches and more than 20oz of silver with the ctx 3030
    Keep at it nugget hunter and your finds will exceed 1oz

9. RichardAL

RichardAL Active Member Silver Stacker

Cold beer at the end of the day will work wonders (assuming you went home because you'd already run out - that happens) Honestly field work is a joy

10. betterlatethannever

Congratulations on your success full finds over the years on the beaches in South Australia :cool:

Can you please tell us/me how long it took you (in years will do) to find over an ounce of Gold and your over 20 ounces of Silver,this will paint a true picture of the real effort involved and timeline to find such success.

Thanks in advance :)

11. Sa_bogan

Thanks, i can say that it was over a year and a half. I got really lucky with a storm that hit about 4 years ago that opened the beach up - i was finding lead toys, pre 45 and post 45 silver coins both Australian and English. But the largest gold find i had was a mens bracelet - 9ct at 15grams.

i have been detecting for around 5 years but have cut back in the last year or so

12. betterlatethannever

If you do you might want to "down size" your current detector to a Minelab CTX 3030 or similar,the GPX 5000 is a real Gold detector and unnecessarily heavy I'd reckon for the beach but there is no reason that you could not use it,but a bit of an overkill wouldn't you say Mr S.A.Bogan.

But saying that the CTX 3030 is a heavy beast too from my experience.

Getting the right detector for the right job is "a must" I reckon like a coin shooter for coins/relics,gold fossicking for you guess it gold and a beach detector for punching through the salt being a mineral.

Also getting a good light detector for what you intend to do will allow you more time in the field finding more good stuff plus a quality digger also makes things much much easier,like mine with a longish handle being 18".

Bearing in my that I don't know everything about detecting although I have been going flat out 2 to 4 days a week for 3.5 years paying for and owning all of my gear ( 2 detectors + top of the range pinpointer +) and plenty of profit,although I have never seriously looked for Gold and probably will not in the foreseeable future.

P.S. remember without the "lucky storm" that came Mr S.A. Bogans way it could take you maybe 10 years to collect over 20oz of Silver from my experience,but getting outside on the beach or in the park is always better than a real job.

13. Sa_bogan

i would agree that the gpx is not the detector for the beach but it can be used there - the main issue is it has no discrimination against iron so you will be digging everything which isn't always a bad thing if you are detecting a clean beach. Also i'm not sure what digger betterlatethannever is talking about but i have a stainless steel beach scoop which is over a metre long which i used to dig on the beach (without this you will be digging all day bending over) and a good one will set you back about $250.
    something like this one
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RTG-Ligh...955669?hash=item43c7dcf5d5:g:4dMAAOSwLF1X2Xwl

Yes i can say the storm did open up the beach but also remember that Adelaide beaches don't get the same wave action as the other states so its a lot harder to work beach to get the goods.

At one point i was detecting 4 days a week and working the other 4 days doing 12 hour shifts and would hit at least 1 to 2 pieces of jewellery (silver and gold) and my finds have paid for my detectors. I have seen people find heaps of gold coins and cash $1000's worth ($1 and $2 coins), but personally the time you need to put in for that i would rather keep my day job and find gold jewellery on my times out

if you want to have the ability i would recommend something older like the minelab GT sov or the excalibur which are awsome for beach detecting and work by sound just like the gpx does, but with a lot more different tones

at the end of the day storm or no storm if you dont walk over it you wont find it. I would rather travel 10 minutes from home and find gold as it suits my current work/home life

14. Sa_bogan

these are the 2 scoops my old man and me use
    [​IMG]
    here is one of the boxes of silver, the container was zeroed out of course
    [​IMG]
    this was my first beach detector i got from a detecting forum
    [​IMG]
    and i also lost count on how many lead battle ships i found
    [​IMG]

15. Sa_bogan

yea i have found some pretty old toys , ill see if i can find the other photos

16. Sa_bogan

here are some lead toys
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and one photo i found of a double ring night
    [​IMG]

17. betterlatethannever

I have an old Minelab Sovereign Elite for the beach with the same coil as your Minelab Excaliber,the 11" DD. :)

I was very lucky when I purchased it (second hand) with it also coming with a 15" coil and after market digital meter which I sold subsidising my Sovereign Elite,but the best part was that it came with a robust canvas pouch to put the "heavy" battery in wearing on my hip using my belt reducing the weight substantially.

I have worn out my shoulders through too much surfing (if that is possible) and hard labour,so carrying my battery on my hips makes extended time on the beach (wet sand) possible.

My Sovereign is about 25 years old with a lead cracked from bottom to top covered in good electrical tape but still going strong unlike me :lol:

As Mr Bogan said it has tones only not like a modern detector with a digital screen,but also as Mr Bogan said I dig everything (mostly) giving me the very best opportunity as recommended by the seller.

My Lesche 18" digger is aircraft quality material which is as hard as hell which I use in the local parks allowing more to dig twice as much twice as easy doubling my chances of finding good stuff,it also came with a super convenient hard plastic holster for a quick and easy release worn on my belt :cool:

You can get one delivered for well less than $200.00 AU which I have found is money very well spent.

Here is an interesting thought - what other hobby makes money and pays for itself,plus if you buy wise and sell your gear you are miles ahead also being outside in the sun on the beach or in the park with the best company in the whole wide world :)

I also have another super light weight and super fast detector being a Teknetics Delta 4000 with a 9" concentric coil (dry sand) which slays it and it super cheap,I am very glad that it was recommended to me by a more experienced dirt fisherman.

I also have a Nel/Sharp 5" DD coil for the Delta 4000 which I got for free :p yes for free which kills it for the ground that you have been over before.

I have found that most people detecting aren't very good leaving heaps and heaps for me but time is running out so you had better hurry,especially with me and Mr Bogan out and about :lol:

18. The_Roll_ Man

The_Roll_ Man Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I was out on the Burns Road ( off Diamond Head road ) gully, just outside of Bendigo VIC. last week.

After putting in just two days ....

( are you waiting to hear of my success ??? )

I hate to say, but I felt this is the end for me ....

I just don't have it in me.

I get lower back pain ( old MVA from years ago ), and I just can't keep going 'up and down' ( detecting, stop, dig, detecting ... ).

My GPX 5000 will be up for sale ( at over $1,000. off new price - with extras ).

Nothing wrong with machine, it's just that it's not for me ....