Gold Pandas - Original Packaging?

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by BuggedOut, Apr 4, 2017.

1. BuggedOut

BuggedOut Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have been collecting a few gold pandas of various sizes as I consider them to be collectible semi-numismatic coins.

What I find interesting is the cheapo plastic packaging they come in (as opposed to the silver pandas which always seem to come in capsules) and I am wondering if there is any real value in keeping the original packaging for the gold pandas?

With plenty of fakes around I understand that people like to see original packaging, but from a collectors perspective they would look so much nicer if I put them in capsules and found a nice display box for them.

Would I be damaging potential resale value by removing original packaging and moving them to capsules? Does anyone care much about the packaging if they can be comfortable the coins aren't fake via other verification methods?

2. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

This issue and questions have been asked many times in this forum.

Majority agree original seal breaking will lower down the value.

Use the search function to refer to those old topic regarding this question might give you more details information

3. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yes, I would recommend keeping them in their OMP (original mint packaging). Alternatively, send them to NGC for grading, and then you can handle your Pandas all day without any fear of damaging them.