Get paid to go to school + Job OR Get paid to school + Free time

Discussion in 'Wealth Creation & Management' started by rara200284, Jan 7, 2015.

1. rara200284

rara200284 Member

So I am a military veteran here in the US. I've noticed this is a predominantly Australian group here. Well, here in the U.S. if you serve in the military, you get something called the GI Bill which pays for your college tuition and gives you monthly income. I get a set amount every month, about $2,000/month for my own personal expenses. I've been thinking about finding a part-time or full-time job to get extra money to buy some precious metals or invest in stocks. A side job wouldn't offer me much. Maybe an extra $1,000/mo while going to school.

The dilemma is whether or not that extra $1,000 would be worth giving up my free time. I get paid going to school, but my income is fixed. I have to pay for bills and such and I really feel like silver and gold would do well. I want to make money so I can buy more Precious Metals. Free time is important to me because that is when I do a lot of research into whatever I need to focus on but I also want money to invest in.

Anyway, what do you guys think?

2. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yeah part time jobs are great for earning a little extra for buying precious metals. Back in the day I worked as a women's phone sex operator. I was productive too, able to make $4.99 a minute for 10 seconds work

3. silver kook

silver kook Active Member

Sex work is illegal in the USA Land of the Free. Your advice may get him locked up.

4. rara200284

rara200284 Member

Prostitution is illegal but phone sex is legal here in the U.S. Maybe I will look into part time. I guess it is making a little bit of extra income, or giving up a lot of time. Well, I guess I can try part-time and quit if it doesn't work out.

5. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Since you don't have to work, try getting a part time job in a field that you're interested in and/or relevant to your studies.

That way you'll get a bit of extra cash and won't be bored stupid working a dead-end job. With the GI Bill money, you can afford to do something you enjoy so don't waste the opportunity. Most people have to take what they can get.

6. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

What ever happened to foreplay?

7. Ag bullet

Ag bullet Well-Known Member

"i can feel it in my plums!"

8. silver kook

silver kook Active Member

"i can feel it in my palms!"

9. anonmiss

anonmiss Active Member Silver Stacker

Having a part time job while studying will definateley help you get employment once your education is finished.
    It shows commitment and will give you valuable skills on dealing with a civilian work place.
    Don't over commit to the number of hours you do. You deserve a social life as we only get one chance on this planet.
    So work part time use that as your investment money in case of tough times ahead and you will have one more thing to add to a resume that may give you the edge over other applicants in the job market.
    (I always used to check resumes to see if people worked while they studied, or just 'enjoyed the student life style' ;) )

10. rara200284

rara200284 Member

Yah, I'm just going back to school to further my education about finance. I already have a college degree. I get paid to go to school since I am a veteran so I'm taking advantage of it. I'm still undecided if I want a part-time job, because most part-time jobs will probably be very degrading jobs like Stocking at Toys R' Us or some job where I am getting minimum wage. I need to find ways to make my time more productive when I have extra time.

I am waiting for the spring semester to start and will see how I'll feel since I'm stacking classes as well.
    Thank you all for the advice!