Finally i own a detector

Discussion in 'Prospecting & Detecting' started by Cind3r, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Cind3r

Cind3r Active Member Silver Stacker

I finally got myself a metal detector!!! Im so excited

After 1 week of use I can happily say (in my un-experienced opinion) that the Minelab x-terra 705 dual metal detector is the best beginners kit!!!
    The discrimination mode is fantastic, pinpoint actually works within the nearest few millimeters.

So far I haven't found anything of value but im doing a great job of clearing the beach and near by parks of trash lol, its amazing how many nails are out there. Im happy to find anything so I leave it on all metal mode :)

If your looking for an awesome beginners machine then this Minelab is the one for you :)

Im heading out to Clare and Jamestown this weekend for the air show but in the off times im going to be treasure hunting, ill keep you posted on my findings :)

2. Sa_bogan

Sa_bogan Active Member Silver Stacker

good stuff mate - i started with that detector and loved it

if you want some advice only use discrimination on the negative target ID's - i say this because a pull tab will show as 10 and a gold ring can display the same number - newbies make the mistake of using it too much and can miss a lot of good targets.

i would also recommend using the DD coil as it is way easy to pin point the target and it will find smaller targets

let me know if you want to go for a swing sometime

3. Cind3r

Sweet man thanks. We should definitely go hunting together :) you can show me some tricks.

So for the beach should I still use the DD or go with the concentric?

I grabbed a bunch of junk from my gold and silver scrap pile to see what they sound like on the detector and damn it annoying that some 9ct rings sound like pull tabs. even 18ct rings sound like trash.

4. Sa_bogan

yea i would use the DD coil for beach for sure - the one thing is the wet sand can make your detector false, so watch your sensitivity and make sure auto ground balance is on along with beach mode

5. Cind3r

Ok ill give it a go, I followed the manual for ground balance but its not really working. Ill re-read and re-do :)

Cant wait to get my first gold/silver piece :)

6. Sa_bogan

the good thing that the 705 has that the others dont (305 - 505) is the auto ground balance which is a time saver for sure - if you look at sa_bogan in youtube i made a video

7. Cind3r

Cheers mate your vids helped me a lot :)

I took it out to bush country just for fun (no intention on looking for gold or treasure) and found some .22 bullet shells about 30cm deep in rock solid dirt. Im quite impressed with the unit.
    Cant wait to hit up the parks and beaches seriously.

8. GRETZKY427

GRETZKY427 Active Member Silver Stacker

How is this Minelab x-terra 705 detector going for you Cind3r ?

PM me if you like, but how much did the metal detector set you back and are you happy with it for a first (beginner) metal detector ?

Is this detector good, for say farm paddocks, beaches, etc or would a different metal detector be recommended ?

DD coil, what is this ?

Sorry a big newbie when it comes to metal detectors haha...

Cheers, HAPPY STACKING :)