Diamond Gemstone Tester Selector II Jewelry Jewel Tool w/ LED High Qua

Discussion in 'Jewellery & Gems' started by 1for1, Jul 6, 2012.

1. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Hi, i have seen this Diamond Gemstone Tester Selector II Jewelry Jewel Tool w/ LED High Quality TE06,

Does anyone have experience using one of these?

[​IMG]

My questions are:

Does it only tell you if its a real gem or man made?

Can it tell me if its a clear sapphire or a diamond?

Is it just diamond vs CZ or can i test my emeralds, tanzanite etc ?

Is this CHEAPY a waste of time and should i buy a proper one, any advice?

Any help would be much appreciated

PS: here is the ebay auction for item i am considering.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/180876929681?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

1for1

2. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Hi 1for1 , I dont have any experience with this but with most equipment like this you get what you pay for. If you really want to be able to test various gemstones you will need several pieces of equipment . If you are just trying to test diamonds there are high quality testers but they are expensive and dont always differentiate between natural and altered or synthetic diamonds. If you are just trying to tell between CZ and diamond, a simple 10 power loop should work as cz tends to be more rounded on the facet junctions and tables, you can see it if compare to a diamond , although moissinite will look much closer but usually has a greenish hue. Once you know what you are looking at it is easier to see. I hope it helps a little.

What exactly are you wanting to test?

3. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Hi mate..

I have a very large gemstone collection comprising of Sapphires, diamonds, ruby, tourmaline, all types of garnets, zircon, Tourmaline, Prehnite, Spinel, Tanzanite, emerald etc...

All items i have i know what they are.. but in terms of jewellery i have accquired.. i would like to be able to understand what the stone is...

Things id like to be able to do:

differentiate a clear sapphire from a diamond
    differentiate a CZ from a diamond

I guess the hardness scale would work.. MOH?? how do you measure hardness?

I basically want to know how to identify one rock from another.

cheers for your help.

1for1

4. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Hello, Gemlogis makes good testers from what I have heard the ciel 3 in 1 tester with pistachio referential meter , and the azure diamond and simulant tester would be perfect for what you need but either would work for you but they are not cheap and I do not know where you would get them in Australia.
    Differentiating white sapphire and diamond is very easy if you know what you are looking at , as sapphire has lower refraction and is not as brilliant , if they are diamond cut it is a little harder but if you compare side by side you can tell. Also like i mentioned above with both cz and sapphire if they have been worn, the facet junctions ( the point were the facets meet) will always be at least slightly rounded where as diamond will be very sharp (unless someone has actually ground them down with diamond which i have never seen).
    As far a testing the hardness I am not familiar with the equipment , but you could use a simple scratch test if you dont mind ruining some material , such as if it scratches glass it is harder, if it scratches quartz it is harder , if it scratches topaz it is harder and if it scratches sapphire then it is most likely diamond (but still could be lab created) . I hope this helps,
    Good Luck!

5. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to help.

You have taught me so good info.. ill need to do research for further info but i guess its just a case of me becoming more involved and spending more time studying.. at the moment its very much a sideline interest.

Joseph

6. greg8049

greg8049 Active Member Silver Stacker

I was going to say for $11 buy it, nothing lost, untill i read the neg feedback

7. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

I know this is old , but just bought one of these recently and have to say it does work.
    Cheap as chips and all the "real"diamonds i have test as real and all the non diamonds test AS NOT DIAMOND.
    I was in the same boat as above "nothing lost for $10" but have to say it is well worth it.

8. ShinyStuff

ShinyStuff New Member

Yes, I used it regularly. It is really only useful for CZ vs diamonds. However, it will show positive (i.e. "diamonds") for colourless sapphire and synthetic moissonite. It sends an electric current through and tests how it conducts. I was chatting to a highly experienced gemmologist who was able to tweak his to differentiate amongst them all to 100% accuracy, but he did it ALL DAY EVERY DAY and I only use it once or twice a week so I am not that much of a guru.

Shiny.

9. sterling-nz

Is it the same?
    Mine works using heat.
    If diamonds are big enough you can breath on them and they dnt fog up so this measure heat resistance.

10. anonmiss

anonmiss Active Member Silver Stacker

Sorry to tell you 1for1 but this tester will test a well made synthetic white sapphire as a diamond. I sent a ring off for valuation, both mine and my jewelers more expensive tester read it as a diamond.
    Its a created white sapphire. The lab stones are getting pretty good.

11. sterling-nz

For the $10 it costs , it is a great tool.
    So it will test positive on NON diamonds (yet to have this happen personally) but it will NOT test negative on actual diamonds so its a great CHEAP indicator for quick testing on the run.
    I have to say i personally highly recommend it.
    And hearing that your jewelers expensive machine had the same issue reinforces my belief in this cheap useful tool:)