Buying an engagement ring

Discussion in 'Jewellery & Gems' started by SilverTounge15, Jun 29, 2016.

1. SilverTounge15

SilverTounge15 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

My budget depends on the timing of the purchase as i often find myself shifting money around in different places but can come anywhere between $3000 and $10000
    I earlier said that i would not be as worried about colour but that has changed
    Im just going to search until i find one diamond that feels right
    and continue learning about them until i do
    Thank you to everyone i will be following up everybody's recommendations both in this thread and in private msgs.....

2. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Just a suggestion:

[​IMG]

3. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

Our engagement ring cost FIFTY POUNDS in 1959. Made just for us to our design by an old Tobruk mate of the FiL.

Valued at $4000 about 2 years ago at Benjamins.

Handed all the jewellery down to the kids about then, (NEVER take rings etc into a nursing home).

OC

4. silversearcher

silversearcher Active Member Silver Stacker

I suggest you go to local jewellers and get one made up. I did this with my wife. You choose the amount of gold in the ring and diamond to be set. It will save money and you will most likely get a better quality ring...

5. Old Codger

I could think of a couple of jokes in this thread, but Julie would have a go at me.

OC

6. mats224

mats224 Active Member Silver Stacker

What about something a little different to a plain diamond? Loose stone purchased off a member here and custom made into a ring and hasn't seen the light of day since completed. If you are after a diamond ring only PM me I have relatives in the jewellery business and have quiet a selection 2nd hand too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Stoic Phoenix

Stoic Phoenix Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

8. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

9. BBQ

BBQ Member

You need to watch this video if you haven't already.
    That is the extent of my advice.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5kWu1ifBGU[/youtube]

10. SilverTounge15

Yes thankyou, I am fully aware of our modern day slavery

Isnt it funny that i will be purchasing this grossly overpriced diamond with money that is worthless.....

Still...... Cant wait to see the look on her face and her friends face when her diamond is more impressive than her friends rocks....

11. Old Codger

Who is paying for the wedding?

Hope you have your own private PRINTING PRESS!

OC

12. Old Codger

Hardly anyone gets married any more, have not been to a wedding since Adam was a lad.

OC

13. Guest

Guest Guest

It may be helpful to buy the stone separately and shop around for a jeweler that won't rip you off who will make the ring (ie, only charging you a reasonable price to make the ring + the price of the gold or platinum... don't enter a shopping mall and ask a chain store to custom make you a ring, they'll rip you off.)
    also buying a stone just under 1 carat can be good value

14. REDBACK

REDBACK Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I told my wife when we first got together that i would never buy her a diamond ring but she could ask for all the gold jewellery she wanted.
    Truly its worked out well.

REDBACK

15. brisbanecoin

brisbanecoin Member Silver Stacker

Mats That came out stunning mate, I've been waiting to see how that came out.

Silver Tounge PM me I have helped many friends source there engagement ring (Or at least diamonds for the ring) and believe I can give some good pointers!

Some general info to help.
    Clarity-When it comes to Engagement ring diamonds you would be surprised how many people will look intently at the ring so it is important to get a clean diamond. (At least Si2 depending on the type of inclusion it has, a white feather in the corner that would be covered is much better then some carbon spots. (Most chain jewellers only stock I1 diamonds with there better range up to Si1 so be very careful here)

Colour- Stay above I, I know some people would say D-H but I can represent some good value and 99.9% of people wouldn't be able to tell you the difference between an H and an I diamond. It also depends on what metal your setting in as even a J diamond can look pretty good if set in Yellow gold however you would be able to see the tinge in white metral.

Cut- (Not the actual cut name such as round or princess but how the stone is actually cut) It has to be at least a good cut but exceptional is better a poorly cut VVS diamond will still not look as good as a well cut Si diamond. This unfortunately is the most complicated step to judge because it takes experience and looking at Many many stones to be able to see.

Carat- This is still an important C but you have to understand that the shape you pick will give a very different face up size. Therefore a 1 ct asscher cut will probably look the same as an 0.80ct princess as it generally requires more depth (So more of your ct weight is underneath the stone which in the cut gives you better sparkle but faces up smaller)

Other- DO NOT buy the grade, so many people say well my paperwork says its VVS2 but they have been very generous and it is actually only an Si2. Buy the stone, not the grade. As for the comment that the price is 8 to 10 times less then the appraisal this is dependant on the appraiser. In most cases even buying used you will pay 20% of the valuation however once you get above a 1 ct diamond the margins start getting thinner and you will probably end up paying between 25-35% of the Appraised value. (note this is only on used stones, rings buying retail you will always pay more 50-80% of the appraised value normally)

If you decide you want a coloured stone as the centre, make sure that's what your partner wants as some lady's are quite sold on diamond only, others are open to whatever. She has to wear so make sure its something she likes! When you start getting into high grade coloured stones they are not necessarily cheaper then diamonds. This route can open up many more opportunities and custom cuts but won't bother going into that unless you want to know more.

Best luck on your hunt, if you want some pointers PM me!

Bear Metal likes this.
  16. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks BrisbaneCoin.. That was a very informative read.
    Cheers for that!

17. SilverTounge15

Thankyou to everybody for their input and help

I have now found the ring and its perfect.....

18. GRETZKY427

GRETZKY427 Active Member Silver Stacker

I brought a engagement & wedding ring set...better value IMO but each to there own :)

And if worse case you are worried she will hate it...let her pick and you buy :)

Cheers, HAPPY STACKING :)

19. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

What makes you think you will be able to pick a ring she will like ?

Let her choose

20. silverfry

silverfry Member

Get the best you can afford at the time and something your future wife to be will love and be proud to show her friends and family. I got the biggest and best color, clarity etc.. at the time and I have not had to buy another diamond since. Happily married for almost 7 years.