Buying a 2nd Hand Metal Detector

Discussion in 'Prospecting & Detecting' started by Rubbing Elbows, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Better penetration in mineralised ground and smoother operation are the biggest advantages of the pulse induction (PI) Minelabs. Generally as you go up through the models they have released their performance and ease of operation improves. The GPX series has fantastic sensitivity to small Gold. Much of what I have found is only 1-2 inches deep so it doesnt mean you are always digging large deep holes.

The coil that is used also makes a difference. Generally speaking larger coils are best for larger and deeper targets. Smaller coils can be worked close to the ground and often find small bits larger coils miss.

2. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

After quite a lot of reading and looking at whats about. I put it into a few categories -

Prospecting - In the bush looking for nuggets etc...

Local Prospecting = Beach, Playgrounds, Parks etc...

If you feel you are going to be 90% more one way than the other I see two different models/ranges.

Prospecting - In the bush looking for nuggets etc... 90% + Then go for a Minelab it appears the 2200 at a minimum. Starting price around $2000 just keeps going up, so how often are you likely to go and how deep are your pockets.

Local Prospecting = Beach, Playgrounds, Parks etc... 90% + I would go for the Garrett AT Pro definitely, I have watched some video of these in the water and it adds a whole new avenue for getting a bit deeper at low tides. Also very good for parks and playgrounds with key features to block out certain mishits like ring pulls and so on. Digital readout. You can get them delivered to Australia via ebay for under $600 I would also get the Garrett Pro Pointer for about $140.

If it was about 50/50 I would go the Minelabs IMHO :) + Garrett Pro Pointer, those things looks awesome can't wait to get one.

3. lucandy

lucandy New Member

I has bought one last year but mine is a new one and it cost me just near $500 and by now it can works well. and I just bought this one at www.detectorall.com. you may go there and have a look

4. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have a brand new minelab 3000 (I bought about 5 years ago with grand plans). Long story short, "kids + life = still waiting for first trip". So I'll be putting up for sale along with all the extra's (extra battery, signal enhancer, covers etc). PM if any-one interested but reasonable offers please. I'd like to at least get my money back.

5. Ozboy

Ozboy Active Member

Do you mean chicken nuggets??? But the instructions on the pack say you can microwave them.

6. Silverbullet08

Silverbullet08 New Member

I believe i posted a while back too, im highly into the notion of prospecting.
    I often thought about it long before i moved to WA.

Ive currently obtained my miners right, and been breifly looking at topograpic maps to start my new hobbie,
    and i dont often give up easily.
    A current work mate of mine knew an aboriginal fellow that he worked with, use to go out prospecting out north in the pilbara
    just on his RnRs, and ontop of his wage a year, still found roughly 40-60k a year of gold (so he proclaims).

Also i agree with austacker, buy it once, buy it right.... i was looking at 2nd hand Minelab GPX 5000, hearing these are the bee's knees of the
    prospecting world. find the price of them around the $5000-$6000 from a couple that have popped up on ebay, gumtree and other classifieds.

I havent looked at hotel prices to stay while prospecting (as opposed to sleeping in the car and wanting a shower, especially in the warmer months),
    also considering its quite a drive from perth itself.
    What i have also noticed though, is that land plots around say meekatharra and cue are going for 10k!... for 2000ish sqm blocks, if it becomes a permanent hobbie,
    even just to setup a water supply (if possible) and park a caravan on it.

7. Boyo

Boyo Active Member Silver Stacker

Have not had much reason to check this thread out till now ..lots of good nuts and bolts info here ,though.
    Anyone have thoughts on the Whites 6000 /DI pro SL ..I have read a little about it on a U.S. detecting forum and a few of them say it is the best analogue type detector produced.Old tech ,but good tech.
    Have been given a loaner from a friend and hope to do a bit of coin/relic and gold hunting with it. on a trip to the Cape soon

Any thoughts?

8. Silver Soul

Silver Soul Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Its not about the machine. Its about the bugga behind it.

In the 80's I had a A3b @ Halls Creek, found just as much gold as the 2000's .....Knowing where to detect, lay of the land, knowing the machine like your lover! If you find nothing first trip....is ok

Next you will be a pro.....Bottle tops you will master. "then you might just get, that 1/2 grammer of yella" ........ You will be hooked for life ;)

9. Boyo

Boyo Active Member Silver Stacker

You are so right ..I will have to "become" the detector

All very Zen ,really :)

10. Eureka Moments

In the '80s Whites were considered the best of the available detectors. My mate used a coinmaster 5000 back then and found hundreds of coins and relics with it. No gold but he wasnt chasing it at the time. Nowadays he uses a Minelab GPX4000 which finds gold as small as 0.01 grams.

Ground mineralisation causes issues for the older detectors so they will not find small gold. The Whites 6000 should be great for coins and relics but if you want to hunt for nuggets I would consider hiring a Minelab GPX.

Remember that people have been waving detectors around for over 30 years and finding undetected/unmined ground is not that easy. Top of the range machines allow you to go over previously worked ground and find pieces missed by older detectors. I have only met one detectorist in Victoria who currently uses a (modern) Whites detector to successfully hunt nuggets. Everybody else uses a Minelab.

Doing the 'Zen' thing is important whatever you are using. :)

11. Eureka Moments

Here's some detectors from the olden days.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Source: Australian Gem and Treasure Hunter Year Book, 1980

12. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Gardiner Treasuretron C Model up to 36" coil???!!!!

Wouldn't get far in the bush with that one. Maybe it was designed for when you'd follow behind a grader, then use it as a hoola-hoop to celebrate your finds back at camp? :lol:

13. Eureka Moments

This MIGHT be a good machine to investigate buying. I do not know the seller or anything about the detector regarding condition etc. If you are interested I strongly suggest ringing the seller and having a chat first as their listing says.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Metal-Detector-/180966769499?pt=AU_Gadgets&hash=item2a2275c35b

It is a Minelab GP "Extreme" Pulse Induction. It is the next model released after the SD2200d and is not a bad detector for finding nuggets. The incredibly crappy pics show (I think) A GP Extreme Control Box, 11" DD coil, AC battery charger, battery harness. The yellow thing is probably a signal enhancer (amplifier). Cant see the battery but the original for this model is a metal "brick" type. There are much better battery stups that can be bought from places like coiltek using camcorder-type batteries so battery type and condition isnt important.
    It has an older type control box cover which may have been fitted when new. This is a good thing cos a box cover saves heaps of wear and tear. However there will be scratches on the control box feet as they stick through this type of cover (silly design but only miniscule issue).

The Coil should be ok. Modern coils by Coiltek and Nuggetfinder are good coil brands to suit that you can buy to improve performance.

Ask for the serial number (its on a sticker under the control box). That way you can check with Minelab to see if its stolen. If its unreadable it means its either hot or not had a cover on it.
    Ask where its been used, how often and what they've found. Generally the less nuggets found with it the better condition it will be in. Ask what is the smallest item they have found or the deepest hole they have dug to get a target. Doesnt have to be gold.
    If you buy ask to have all items especially the control box bubble wrapped and marked fragile for postage.

14. whinfell

whinfell Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Bye-bye spammer

15. MickeyG

MickeyG New Member

May be he is not a spammer...
    Give a chance

16. zarathustra

zarathustra New Member

This comment is directed to the newbies, the guys who have decided to try prospecting with a detector:

First, know your country; it is pointless wandering about on a lava plain from recent vulcanism, there ain't any gold there.
    Second, get mapping of known gold areas and work over these areas, especially around the edges after rain.
    Third, get to know your detector, bury a SMALL bit of gold in a kids' sand-pit and try to recover it.
    Fourth, don't expect to find much, if any gold, many guys have been there before you; but, miracles do happen!

17. just me

just me Active Member Silver Stacker

Morning all its been a wile but i still about.

I have a chance of getting a 2nd hand minelab gp3500 with a few extras for under 2k shipped.

This is what is in the deal.

4 Lithium ion battery packs (2 are brand new). Wall charger, car charger, Coiltek battery control, Super Signal Enhancer, and external speaker.
    8" DD coil
    8" Mono coil
    8" X 6" Sadie
    12" Nugget Finder
    Brand new Minelab ProSwing 45 harness.

So would this be worth getting for a entry level setup?
    Any advice feed back welcome...

I have never gone looking for gold before and want to give it ago, i live in a gold area in qld but pickings are pretty slim here from what i hear, in new year i going to get a 4x4 and travel and stop at the gold fields between Vic to north Qld and over to Darwin as part of my holiday trip.

Gazza79 and 66rounds like this.
  18. mrsilverservice

mrsilverservice Well-Known Member

I recommend that you keep your powder dry and wait until you get in Victoria and get a lesson/advice from a say Minelab shop and maybe take your new 4 x 4 on a short guided trip into the goldfields renting equipment,you will learn at lot in a short time saving $$$$$$$$$$$ in the longer run :)

The GP3500 was a good machine in the day but is a bit old today but still a good machine if it works fine but just for finding gold.

Personally I would get the newer Equinox 800 which is a very very good all round machine with a gold feature,you will find a lot more relic's and silver coins etc having more fun also,it is also very light.

You will also need to purchase more equipment like a pick (for gold)headphones,pinpointer etc adding more money to your purchase.

Most people (like me) bite off more than they can chew running out of puff digging heaps of nails and bullets getting more and more frustrated eventually giving up and having gear that you don't use anymore :confused:

As I said at a minimum go to a shop and ask some questions,it will cost you nothing :D

This will cost you nothing also,go to - prospecting australia - an Australian prospecting forum,read read and read some more.

I hope this helps :)

-

-

-

-

-

The Book of Proverbs Chapter 27 verse 21

The refining pot is for Silver and the furnace for Gold,and a man is valued by what others say of him :)