business in Asia. Any idea anyone?

Discussion in 'Other Investments' started by FionaRobirtson, Apr 1, 2016.

1. FionaRobirtson

FionaRobirtson New Member

Good afternoon!
    I want to start my own business in Asia. I have a solid initial capital and so I surf the internet looking for an interesting business idea and considering different options.
    I don't know much about Asia cause I haven't worked with this region yet. I am interested in your suggestions and options. Maybe someone has already experienced doing business in Asia?
    So far the best option I've found is to buy gold... It sounds attractive and people in Asian countries find it interesting and beneficial. I base my conclusions on this article:
    Any idea anyone?

2. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi there Fiona Robirtson. Did you forget to post your spam link?

3. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Weird last name. Never heard of anyone with a Robirtson before...

4. whinfell

whinfell Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well, there's Robertson, so change the 'e' for an 'i' and there you have it.

5. silver kook

silver kook Active Member

Plenty of gold shops in Asia already why would you bother?

6. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Learning of the English is becoming very popular. Many Asia people will be paying for teaching academies. It is attractive and many people find interesting and beneficial.

7. Dabloodymess

Dabloodymess Active Member

In the same vein as what Julie said above, I think that businesses in education are good options in Asia. It is a stereotype (but largely a true one from my experience) that Asian parents value education very highly. They will go without luxuries to put their children through extra classes after school. Life is so competitive in many Asian countries that every one is looking for an edge and often more education is how people try to get that edge.

8. Silver Soul

Silver Soul Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Asians eat like goldfish drink water, So I am currently supplying fertilizers to rice farmers. & on the sideline teach English with a view to expanding this to a franchise ..... All when I am offshore Australia & not running my Business here.

9. Silver Soul

Silver Soul Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yep.

10. ego2spare

ego2spare Well-Known Member

Im in the slums of the philippines right now and have been for a month. Dont even try starting a business in this country. 2 companies own everything and will crush u if u try. And their laws prevent international investment because outsiders cant own more than like 40%? Of a company. so u have to hire somone here to own, run and be in charge of it. It keeps the country in the third world because no one invests here. That and the overwhelming corruption.

11. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Register a business in Singapore, buy farm land in Tasmania, and sell niche ultra-high premium agricultural products to the Chinese.

12. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Easier said than done :)

I mean if I register a company in HK/Shanghai buy a milk farm. And decide sell all the milk to China.
    You will have the same problems why all the other Aussies farms can't get it done.

If you are a local expect maybe (in Asia) but as a foreigner what difference or market edge do you have compared to an Aussie farmer.

13. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Partner with a local maybe? Certainly you'd want to conduct any business that necessitated "incentives" at arms length for personal safety from local political machinations. It doesn't have to be milk. It could be anything that is marketed as being guaranteed extremely healthy while simultaneously exclusive or rare... things like Manuka honey for example.

You ask a good question: what's your edge? What differentiates you from existing Australian producers?

Here's my thinking:

1. Chinese can't get enough of healthy Australian products, especially when it is a product consumed by their children.
    2. You leveredge Tasmania's reputation for healthy produce and non-GMO regulations as a major market differentiator and as an advantage over the big mainland Australian producers.
    3. You keep things small and charge a very high premium. This is about branding and exclusivity, not about shifting large volumes.

And of course you register in Singapore (or HK) for the taxation benefits and because they are closer to the target market.

Anyway, that's just some thoughts.

14. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hey SS,
    I'm i agree with what you say, though there has to be something.
    Though it could be as simple as not enough entrepreneurial spirit?

Last time I was in Beijing I saw fresh Aussie milk at $11 a bottle, presumely flown over, but what caught my eye was long life milk at $3.50.

15. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

This.^ No need for Singapore, farmland or Tasmania, Australia will suffice, and just think/look outside the square.

You don't know how right you are. I am seeing a fortune made doing just this ATM. Especially when it is a niche/ specialty product traditionally only locally produced in China.