AusPost Parcel Lockers guide

Discussion in 'Questions & Comments' started by Silver Smurfer, Sep 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silver Smurfer

Silver Smurfer Active Member

Hey Stacker, yes you!

If f2f isn't your style & you need somewhere secure & snug to send some incoming items but don't want to give away your home address or spend a day hanging out on a strangers porch waiting to ambush the mailman then I highly recommend using AusPost Parcel Lockers for taking deliveries securely 24hrs/day without disclosing your home address. Benefits:
    • 24/7 access[/*]
    • Receive parcels, and...[/*]
    • New Send parcels[/*]
    • Track status & progress of registered parcels in a web interface[/*]
    • Notifications by email/SMS when tracked parcels arrive[/*]
    • Secure lockers can only be opened with unique PIN sent on arrival[/*]
    • Register with as many parcel lockers as you like nationwide[/*]
    • Redirection of some in transit parcels is possible[/*]
    • Free[/*]

[h]How to setup[/h]
    1. Create a MyPost account here: https://auspost.com.au/mypost/auth/#/register
      [ins]You will be given a unique numeric ID, use this ID with any parcel locker address you wish to receive a parcel at, see below for more info[/ins][/*]
    2. Search for parcel lockers using map search here: https://auspost.com.au/mypost/addressbook/#/addressSearch/parcelLocker[/*]
    3. Using map or list view, click the parcel locker you want and click Add[/*]
    4. First one you set up has a couple extra questions, after that it's as simple as above to add more[/*]
    5. Your saved parcel lockers will show your AusPost ID & address of the parcel lockers so you can copy & paste when providing delivery details to others
      NB: You aren't assigned a specific locker at each address/location, it's chosen at random from those available upon parcel arrival, your ID # will be the same at all addresses/locations[/*]

[h]Using[/h]
    When you order something from anywhere online, SS, eBay, wherever, you can provide your preferred locker address, like this:
    [h]Tracking[/h]
    When you get a tracking # for a parcel just add it to your AusPost account under tracking:
    1. Go to tracking here: https://auspost.com.au/mypost/track/#/list[/*]
    2. Paste your tracking number in the box & click Add[/*]
    3. This isn't a step, you're done. No, wait, go get a beer, that's the next step. Now you're done :) [/*]

[h]Collecting[/h]
    Collection is easy, you'll get an email &/or SMS when there's a parcel to collect:
    1. Go to the relevant parcel locker[/*]
    2. Use the screen/keyboard to enter your AusPost ID[/*]
    3. Use the PIN code in the notification to unlock[/*]
    4. Go get another beer[/*]

Be safe, and as always, happy trails!

Junk Silver likes this.
  2. Revils

Revils Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I use my parcel locker regularly, but a lot of the time delivery companies won't send there (FedEx etc) which is extremely annoying. They'll also forward any non-parcels (letters) to your home address which takes a few exra days - has happened when savvy stackers fit smaller items in something AusPost doesn't deem a parcel.

3. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

This will become a good money earner for them.

4. Junk Silver

Junk Silver Member Silver Stacker

Can you use parcel lockers with signature on delivery items?

5. Silver Smurfer

Short answer: I'm not certain, best to inquire with AusPost about this.

Long answer: It depends;
    If there's ATL (Authority To Leave) then the parcel can be left somewhere safe, at delivery person's discretion, usually the local PO or a recipient-nominated Safe Drop address. Here's an AusPost/Startrack eParcel PDF fact sheet, extract: "Popular choices for those who are often not at home to take delivery of their parcels are to address them to one of our 24/7 Parcel Lockers, or to a convenient Parcel Collect location. Other parcel receivers have asked us to leave their parcels at a safe place at their nominated delivery address, even when the sender has asked for a signature to be captured." "..we are introducing improvements to our domestic Signature on Delivery service. This will be an option which is available to your customers from 7 November 2015 when they will be able, in certain circumstances, to ask us to Safe Drop their parcel. "
    However, have a look at this list of items that cannot be delivered to Parcel Lockers, from the AusPost site:

What can't be delivered to Parcel Lockers
    A Parcel Locker is great for all sorts of deliveries, but there are a few things that can't be delivered:
    Letters and standard mail that can be delivered to your letterbox
    Express Post letters
    Parcels larger than 39 x 36 x 64cm
    Parcels heavier than 16kg
    Parcels that require proof of identity
    Parcels that require the recipient's ID to be recorded at delivery
    Parcels where there is a payment required on delivery
    Parcels that are damaged or unsuitably packaged
    Parcels delivered by a courier that has chosen not to deliver to our parcel lockers
    Parcels containing alcohol
    Parcels containing perishables

Alternative: Most Parcel Lockers are located at or near an Post Office, most of them participate in the Parcel Collect service, this supports ID/signature on delivery but restricts collection to Post Office hours.

As stated above, it's best to seek further information from AusPost.

6. Ashman

Ashman Active Member Silver Stacker

I'm pretty sure I've had parcels with "Signature on Delivery Required" stickers on them sent successfully to my parcel locker, so I think it depends on the actual post office. Though worst case they will simply keep it behind the counter at the post office instead of putting it into the locker and send you an email to go and sign for it instead (the same thing happens if you don't collect from the locker within the specified 3 days - it moves to over the counter collection). I've also had numerous express post satchels sent to my locker with no issues before which are supposed to be signed for.

7. Silver Smurfer

That's true, I've had Express Post parcels delivered to Parcel Lockers a few times, but I didn't want to give the impression this is fact & not just circumstance.
    Again, I'd confirm the specific rules & procedures for receiving sign-on-delivery items at Parcel Lockers.

8. Fat Penguin

Fat Penguin Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thanks Smurfer for your time and effort here!

9. AlmondStacker

AlmondStacker New Member

Thanks for giving such a detailed overview. I'm sorry to dig up an old thread, but this was more helpful the AusPost's own support/FAQs.

Do you know whether I strictly need to include my name on the address label?

I'm sending using a really restrictive web form for shipping details, so I'll either cram it all in one (per below) or scrap my name entirely (if allowed by AusPost).

Code:
    T Durden ParcelLocker 123456789
    537 Paper Street
    Bradford DE 19808

10. Silver Smurfer

Hi AlmondStacker,
    Thanks, I'm glad you found it useful & informative.

Addressing guidance from AusPost

I'm not 100% certain but what I can tell you is that I've received parcels addressed to me by first name only and also addressed to my SS handle, ie:
    Which indicates that a recipient name is at least nominal if not arbitrary.

It's unusual that the web form won't allow you to specify a name, perhaps just prefix your first name before Parcel Locker, if that many characters will fit in the 1st address field.

I hope that helps you somewhat.

11. reaver

reaver Active Member

Just putting in my 2 cents.

I have used AusPost Parcel Collect and Parcel Lockers for all my PM purchases and never had an issue.
    Even packages from companies with BIG stickers reading "SIGNATURE AND PRINTED NAME MUST BE PROVIDED" will be delivered straight to my locker. A caveat to this is that I've always received packages via AusPost / Startrack (which is AusPost) which is probably why the process is always smooth. I will always opt for using AusPost/Startrack in Australia for this reason. For deliveries from overseas, I guess I'll have to consider how badly I want it, and what level of risk I'm willing to accept.

In terms of the 'ID Required' scenarios: I believe a package that requires ID will be redirected to a Parcel Collect (Post Office) location or your personal address if you don't have a Parcel Collect location specified on your account.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.