asx rrl Regis Resources LTD

Discussion in 'Stocks & Derivatives' started by grinners, Sep 22, 2011.

1. grinners

grinners Active Member Silver Stacker

Having a look at this company and they look pretty good.

Did a search but couldn't see any topics on them.

Anyone invested? Any thoughts?

2. finicky

finicky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Been high on my goldie watchlist for a couple of years but it never corrects!
    Don't take this as advice, I've been wrong more often than right on PM equities, but I'll add a few glib remarks.

At FY11 valuations (P/E 35, P/B 9) a lot of growth has been priced in. To be sure, if some estimates of FY13 earnings are close to right then price might be justified (e.g two brokers have it earning 55 cents per share then)

The chart of RRL looks a risky buy to me. That might change if it can move to close beyond $3 with volume, then confirm over a few days. Maybe it is just consolidating before a breakout, with rising weekly lows, and the closes pinging away at $3? I'm just wary of the flagging momentum of the stock.

Seems to have good prospects alright but currently just expensive? They should all move up though if gold rallies strongly again.
    I notice Roger Montgomery recently said his clients are holding Troy Resources (TRY) as well as Silverlake Resources (SLR). I don't hold any of these.

3. finicky

4. finicky

RRL back at $3. A day after the start of this thread, on Sept 22, RRL dropped around 20% over 3 days! Then it relentlessly climbed back up over a couple of weeks to be yet again challenging $3 resistance today.
    Not holding RRL.

[​IMG]

5. SilverSanchez

SilverSanchez Active Member

.... keep an eye on

Its quite undervalued based only on its resource ounces

But they are headged (small hedge but still a hedge) - they might not be gold lovers/believers

6. finicky

Been a very volatile gold stock. Since failing at the $3 resistance and falling 20% it has powered back and recently overcome the $3 resistance. That was ~40% rally over 6 weeks! Note the strong volume bar on the day it decisively broke the resistance. 'Technically' that's the day to buy in, or the next day. But really you could argue that when it started probing the $3 level yet again, after such a strong rally, it was a good punt then. Now it could consolidate around here then move higher, or fall all the way back to retest the breakout at $3 (the less likely option imo) There's a gap between 3.30 and 3.20 which should attract. I'm not a chartist by the way, just like to speculate, and always do before entering a stock.

[​IMG]

7. GoldenEgg

GoldenEgg Member

Trading halt today.Announced 20c dividend as well as production upgrade and also announced they are now debt free.Should be a good day tomorrow.

8. J-Money

J-Money New Member

They did also announce a 15% grade dilution at Garden Well, though the increased throughput should hopefully offset it. Yesterday made for another nice buy-in opportunity IMHO :D

9. GoldenEgg

GoldenEgg Member

Apparently investors were hoping for a higher dividend than 20c.

10. finicky

REGIS RECORDS $201M (PRE TAX) PROFIT

The board of Regis Resources Limited is pleased to announce a profit before tax of
    $200.7 million and profit after tax of $145.7 million for the year ended 30 June 2013.

The profit before tax result of $200.7 million was up 168% on the prior year. This
    was a strong result given that operations only commenced at the Garden Well
    Gold Mine in September 2012 and accordingly the result only included three
    quarters of gold production from the project.

Profit after tax, at $145.7 million, was 114% on the prior year. The current year result was subject to an income tax
    expense of $55.0 million even though there is no income tax payable in relation to
    the 2013 result as carried forward tax losses will be utilised to fully offset the income tax expense.

The board of directors has declared a maiden dividend of 15 cent per share, fully
    franked. The record date for the dividend is 14 October 2013 and the dividend will
    be paid on 25 October 2013.

Basic earnings per share (cents) 30.49 (FY12 15.51) +14.98 +97%

2 year weekly chart
    [​IMG]

http://stocknessmonster.com/news-item?S=RRL&E=ASX&N=649172

11. finicky

Another one that behaved peculiarly today

[​IMG]

12. finicky

Volume and intraday reversal. Another one that behaved strangely

St Barbara Mines
    [​IMG]

13. MyNamesNotBen

MyNamesNotBen New Member

Strange sh*t happening...

14. MyNamesNotBen

MyNamesNotBen New Member

Look into ERA if you really want to see an irrational clusterfuck. The wastage spill, The shut down of all operations until sometime next year at the earliest and the SP rallies like 30% in the last week.. srsly the greens / idiot locals that hear about the spill on the 6oclock news and panic, + the traditional land owners out at kakadu will do everything they can to prevent the mine from resuming operations. The company was losing money before all this went down and yet people are buying??? lol

15. Charles89

Charles89 New Member

I saw that too lol, have no idea why it's happening.... Company isn't going announce their losses/costs until next year, yet people are buying..

16. finicky

Comments re Regis Resources (RRL) as well as Northern Star in The Bull newsletter dated 13/01/14. Regis has gone up the second highest so far today on my quality gold list, up 20c or 7%. Best performer Silverlake (SLR) up 11%. Regis Resources has negligible debt, significant cash, and is a good prospect for continuing dividends if gold price pulls up. Last year's yield was 5.17% ff against Friday's $2.90 share price.

http://www.thebull.com.au/premium/a/43294-5-mining-stocks-with-high-yields-and-low-p/e's.html

"Gold Miners Northern Star Resources Ltd (NST) and Regis Resources Ltd (RRL) both had rough days in 2013 but have started the year on fire, although Regis has fallen off in the last few days. Earlier in the trading week beginning on 06 January 2014 NST was up about 32% and RRL up about 12%. Here is a one month price chart for the two companies.

Northern Star seems to have gotten a bump from the 23 December 2013 announcement of its acquisition of the Plutonic Gold Mine in Western Australia from the world's largest gold miner, Barrick Gold Corporation. Northern is on the lookout for more deals as more gold producers look to shed assets. As of the most recent quarter Northern Star had about $55 million total cash against $11 million in total debt. The tab for the Barrick Gold acquisition comes to $25 million.

Macquarie is alone among major analyst firms in covering the stock. The analyst there has an Outperform recommendation on the company, calling it a favorite in mid-cap Australian gold stocks. Northern Star increased revenue from $100 million in FY 2012 to $144.3 million in FY 2013 with NPAT increasing from $22 million to $28.3 million.

With a market cap over $1 billion, Regis Resources is twice the size of Northern Star and commands more analyst coverage. Thomson/First Call reports 19 analysts covering the company with 2 Strong Buys, 3 Buys, 10 Holds, 3 Underperforms, and 1 Sell. On 28 October 2013 the stock was downgraded to Neutral from Outperform at Macquarie and from Neutral to Underperform at BA-Merrill/Lynch. On 04 January 2014 Credit Suisse upgraded RRL to Neutral from Underperform, citing a trade-off between falling gold prices and the falling AUD. The analyst there believes the price of gold will fall below US$1,000 per ounce while the AUD/USD will drop to $0.87. Regis has three low cost gold mines in operation. The company reported impressive 2013 Full Year results, with both revenue and NPAT more than doubling from FY 2012. Revenue increased from $170.4 million to $416 million and NPAT went from $68.2 million to $145.7million."

KEY to Stats below:

Company (Market Cap)
    Code
    Share Price
    52 Wk % Change
    P/E
    Div. Yield
    1 Year Total Shareholder Return (Average Annual Rate)
    3 Year Total Shareholder Return (Average Annual Rate)
    5 Year Total Shareholder Return (Average Annual Rate)

Northern Star Resources
    ($377.6m)
    NST
    $0.89
    -25%
    3.93%
    -17%
    41.9%
    126.6%

Regis Resources
    ($1.4b)
    RRL
    $2.90
    -40%
    5.17%
    -41.7%
    +16%
    83.1%

17. clear

clear Well-Known Member

Regis Resource lost 17% today (last trade $ 2.56) ?

18. SilverSanchez

First rule of Regis is 'we don't talk about Regis'...... :) they had a weather event, 2 mines closed for 3 months to dewater and clear out after flooding

19. Stackman

Stackman Member Silver Stacker

Buying opportunity, much ? :)

20. SilverSanchez

Hard to say - its only when they dewater that they can evaluate how much erosion damage to ramps, walls etc has occurred. The good thing is they are still within mine plan boundaries, so any cut-back of pit walls will not be outside of mine plan. Im maintaining exposure because they could become a sitting duck for a merger or take over and I don't wanna miss out if that happens