MacArthur Commemorative Philippine Silver Coin

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by SilverTorch66, Sep 21, 2016.

1. SilverTorch66

SilverTorch66 New Member

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKSFxAYcyrs[/youtube]

SilverTorch66 presents: MacArthur Commemorative Philippine Silver Coin
    During an R&R visit to the Philippine Islands this summer, I decided to Acquire some silver to add to my collection. This series of videos will present my silver pick ups and of course include a little story about the history behind them.

After the United States recognized the Philippines as an independent nation in 1946, no coins were minted for the Philippine Republic until 1958, other than a silver commemorative issue in 1947 to commemorate the liberation of the Philippines from the Japanese by Gen. Douglas MacArthur
    These coins were the very first coins struck for the new Philippine Republic and were the first commemorative of the era.
    This commemorative set included a 90% silver peso and a 90% 50 centavo coin.
    A total of 100,000 peso coins and 200,000 50 centavo coins were created in 1947.
    All were minted at the San Francisco mint and bare the "S" mint mark.
    The Obverse and Reverse of Both coins were the creation of Engraver: Laura Gardin Fraser
    You can find her initials under the bust of MacArthur
    The Commemorative MacArthur Peso Coin

Weight 20g
    Diameter 35.5 mm
    Thickness 2.2mm
    Metal content 0.2787 troy oz
    Silver Purity is 90%

The OBV of the peso displays the right facing bust of Gen-Douglas/Mac-Arthur
    Around the outside of the coin is the inscribed phrase "Defender And Liberator" "Of The Philippines" The name Gen Douglas MacArthur is divided by the image of the general and Below the bust is the date Oct 20 1944.
    Representing the triumphant return of General Mac Arthur to the Philippine Islands.

The REV displays the Philippines/Coat of arms of the Republic. below it you will find the date of mintage 1947 . Above the coat of arms is the word "Philippines" and at the very bottom is inscribes "One Peso" The mint mark of "S" is located directly under the date.

The commemorative MacArthur 50 centavos coin

Weight 10g
    Diameter 27.5 mm
    Thickness 2mm
    Metal content 0.2411 troy oz
    Purity 90%

The OBVERSE of this coin's design is similar to that of the peso version with a right facing bust of the general, the same inscriptions, name and historic date which can be found in the same corresponding locations as the peso coin. This coin is just 8mm smaller in diameter.

And the REVERSE design is identical to that of its peso partner.

If you like this video, stop by my SilverTorch66 Channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4loxe3LNOK_Wm5P3F8qRHg and check out my other content.

Thank you for your support!

2. JNS

JNS Active Member Silver Stacker

Hi, it is one of my early collection. I am happy that you able to acquire set. Eventhough the mintage is high, it is always kept and seldom sold. There is a long list of silver and some gold coins of the philippines from spanish era, american and new republic.

When you planning a visit again you can buy some silver coins around manila area specifically in SM Megamall, Greenhills Shopping Center and a shop around China Town. These are some famous antique shop easy to reach when you are in metropolis.

3. JNS

JNS Active Member Silver Stacker

Btw, it is a very nice video and highly informative as well. Thank you for sharing.

4. SilverTorch66

SilverTorch66 New Member

Thanks for watching and glad you like it.

If you want to check out some others......

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awskkCfXdVQ[/youtube]

Let me know what you think.

Torch