why is silver on ebay so expensive?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by PlatinumGirl, Jul 7, 2016.

1. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Unless someone can show me a better (super quick and easy search options & comparisons, past sales, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc), bigger, and consistently lower prices single marketplace than eBay for the variety of coins, precious metals products, exonumia found there, it's a moot point to discuss any inferior alternative.

Enjoy your life and don't be so angry all the time, eBay haters! :p :D

2. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

eBay isn't bad, it's just buyers beware. Plus I fail to see with buyer guarantee now, there is almost nothing better to guarantee that you get what you bought. (This is double edged sword... If the price is too good read everything and ask questions and get answers before you buy) the question and answer can also help you win any disputes.

Just use PayPal to pay to qualify for extra protection.

As for the fees, well that is the cost for the seller to pay, As a buyer if the price is right buy it.

3. Rhinosaur

Rhinosaur Member Silver Stacker

As an eBay seller you're entitled to set whatever price you desire for your items and some eBay sellers want to make ridiculous margins. They do this by enticing inexperienced buyers. While the bulk of buyers will have some idea of market rates others have no clue and pay whatever a seller is asking without doing their due diligence. Hence you might see a $40 item listed for $99. Always check sold items to get an idea of going rates. Disregard listed prices as a price indicator.
    Caveat emptor

4. Rhinosaur

Rhinosaur Member Silver Stacker

And I should also mention that, in my opinion, price gouging is almost non existent on the silver stacker forum. In my experience, a great way to buy. Just stick with experienced members with good feedback.

5. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

For a period, during the migration, I used ebay and a couple other auction sites (local and neighbouring country specific ones) parallel (so a "honest" reference during a changing spot), hunted specific junk coins, and I could get them consistently 1-2 euro (on 17-19) less than on ebay.
    How it is now ("show me a better") I don't know, I suspended stacking silver since my last purchase end 2014 when spot was USD $14-15, and I don't use auction sites at all anymore (only to check sometimes for free stuff to pick up), since I'm now visiting flea markets and secondhand stuff shops for whatever that appears to me as a bargain, without and after eventual repair.
    Your experience with ebay is good. Mine is bad.
    There are others like you. There are others like me.
    That quitting a place means hating that place, is your strawman. If old cheese in supermarket A is older, cheaper, easier package and lasts longer outside cooling than supermarket B, I move from B to A, and vice versa if things change.
    I consider ebay as an expensive shop and too much risk involved.
    Hating is for ppl that don't have /aren't given a choice. Luckily ebay has some competition out there.

6. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

I think some need to keep in mind that eBay in the US is a bit different than elsewhere..

Those in the US get "eBay Bucks" -- 2% off, which accumulate each calendar quarter & can be cashed in on future purchases.

Not a big deal, really.. Except when you get eBay Bucks Bonus Offers every week or two. That 2% is multiplied by 3x, 4x and 5x

10% off + cash-back credit card + some sort of "Ebates" discount ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebates )?

Now you're starting to talk decent $$..

Anyway, if you're into old slabbed numi stuff, especially, it can be a great place to hook up with sellers.

And once you have their email address after the 1st purchase, well, there's really no need to go via eBay anymore, is there.. ;)

As for straight bullion? Yeah, probably better off elsewhere..

7. HotlineBling

HotlineBling New Member

This^ totally makes it worthwhile to purchase numi stuff off ebay in USA. Plus from what I've read people in US can also purchase ebay gift cards which at times are offered by retailers (target etc) at a discount, further contributing to lowering the cost.

Would be great if ebay AUS had some sort of ebay bucks or ebates program.

8. Canadian Stacker

Canadian Stacker New Member

I tend to only use eBay to purchase Canadian junk silver as I find it close to or at spot from Canadian sellers. I find anything being sold out of the US is too expensive once shipping is added in. I rarely purchase Bullion on eBay due to counterfeits and honestly I find it too expensive. I do not have any local bullion/coin dealers so I just save up and place orders from Canadian online dealers. I will say ebay can be great if you need to find less available stuff that dealers don't have but you need to be prepared to pay extra for it.

9. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Yeah, I forgot about the whole gift-card thing..

Though they have been pulling back on that a lot recently, and it's nowhere near as good as it once was.

US eBay also gives out the occasional 10%-off coupon (I believe AUS has something similar). Straight-up coupon to be used on anything, immediate cash savings at the time of checkout..