Thoughts/advice on my stack

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by GeneralStacker, Apr 1, 2016.

1. GeneralStacker

GeneralStacker New Member

I've recently contracted gold/silver fever. :D :eek:

I put together a quick video of my newbie stack. Thoughts would be much appreciated.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/Yx_XGnYh0Cg[/youtube]

2. GeneralStacker

3. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Nice stack GeneralStacker have you considered a few Australian coins?

The 1oz Australian silver Kangaroo is selling well, it's The Perth Mint's first release of a 9999 pure coin and it has some unique security features.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufBf8QNDDSU[/youtube]

Also, consider some of Perth's other nomenclature.
    http://www.perthmintbullion.com/au/View-All-Bullion.aspx

Happy stacking :D

4. Killface

Killface Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Welcome General, and thanks for the video. Very nice stack and nicely presented. We are all extremely jealous that you could put that together in a few weeks!

Look forward to seeing more, and maybe a better look at that home, which looks quite stunning :)

I agree, Libertads are gorgeous, they are not so common here in Australia but I was lucky enough to get some 2ozers from another SS member. But I won't be able to say the are the most beautiful until I have a collection like yours to compare them with..

Note that the Koalas have a reduced maximum mintage of 300,000 this year so could be a good investment if you can get them at the right price. Premiums here in Oz are about AUD6ea by the roll of 20 which is a bit rough... but I paid it.

5. GeneralStacker

Thanks for the suggestion Holdfast. I will add the Kangaroos to my wishlist.

6. GeneralStacker

Thanks for the advice HoldMeTender. I'll definitely look further into the Koalas. I have a lot to learn and your input is appreciated.

7. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Excellent quality video too...:)

8. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Welcome to the SS forum!

You came into precious metals at a very good time in my view since the prices are so low compared to what they were just a few short years ago.

You've got a hefty stack there for someone who just started! Good for you.

As you are diversifying the way you invest your money by acquiring precious metals, slabbed TPG (third party grading) graded coins is simply a way to diversify your precious metal stack. I think it's a good thing to do that. As my tastes have become more refined since I purchased my first silver bullion, I have been going more toward buying and collecting (semi)numismatic items like slabbed coins and medals, America The Beautiful Uncirculated 5 oz silver coins, and Chinese medals. To each their own of course. The point is, I have diversified my stack over the past couple/few years because it spreads risk and mainly because I really like to hold and own some of these exquisite collector items.

By the way, I really like that you handle bullion ASEs with gloves. It never made sense to me that some stackers pay higher premiums for ASEs than they would for blobs (generic, common, non-denom bullion bars and rounds) and yet treat the ASEs as if they were blobs by getting greasy fingers all over them or throwing them around raw inside a wooden box or whatnot. What a waste of money (extra premium paid) if nothing else.

p.s. I'm a fan of the Libertad and coins and medals from Mexico in general. Some day you should really consider acquiring a kilo PL Libertad.....it is an amazing looking coin in hand.

9. o-to

o-to Member

Thanks for sharing this video.

My advise if you want to add some nice looking beautifully minted coins to your stack is for you to take a look at the Rwanda series. Stunning coins, really!

If you like mexican silver the master piece imho is the kilo Aztec calendar.

Enjoy stacking and collecting and share with us your next videos!

10. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

11. GeneralStacker

Thank you all for the feedback/advice. (especially your a pill a day advice alor!)

O-to: I actually placed an order for the 2016 Rwanda Meerkat. Looking forward to seeing it in person. I am also interested in the Aztec calendar, but I'm going to need to save up for that since it comes with a hefty premium.
    Mmissing: the kilo libertad looks phenomenal. another one to add to my list (perhaps with the aztec calendar). --
    What do you think of the Mexican 50 peso gold coin -- I believe it has 1.2 troy ounces of gold and premium seems quite reasonable.

12. Killface

Killface Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Those Mexican gold coins are amazing, I want the 20 peso. Don't see much mention of them here on SS, they seem pretty uncommon in Australia.

13. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

You can't go wrong with Mexican silver and old coins. I didn't always think this though. When a friend first suggested that I should look into silver Libertads I was sour on the idea. I was like all American Eagle fanatic then and I didn't like the Libertad design.

Well, since then, my taste has changed 180 degrees. I think Libertads rock! (at least as much as ASEs)

If I were going to buy Mexican gold, I'd buy gold Libertads....just my personal preference but either is good in my view.

Oh, and the kilo Aztec Calendar is a stunning coin as well....though I do personally prefer the PL kilo Libertad slightly over the Aztec Calendar. Owning either will make you feel great inside....especially since the mintages are generally exceptionally low on these two coins....much lower mintage than even most proof silver Libertads (which in themselves are gorgeous coins worth adding to your collection).