Local Bullion Prices

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Ghalterman, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Ghalterman

Ghalterman New Member

Hello all,

I'm new to stacking, but have been interested in the concept for a few years now. I've recently decided to start buying silver bullion and rounds as I feel it's easier to get into than coins until I've done more research. I've found a reputable coin shop in my area that charges $2 over spot for bullion, which I feel is fair. I have checked the online prices and I understand I can buy the bars for a little less over spot, but I'm not really a fan of having it come in the mail or not having it in my hands (instant gratification). My question is, am I right that $2 over spot for bullion is a fair deal? I know the whole to each their own philosophy, but I guess I'm curious about the prices people are seeing in their local area. I'm traveled the east coast and found the price to be about $2 over spot between Virginia Beach, VA area and the Rhode Island.

I did buy from the same shop when silver went up to about 14.68 at the very end of November and still got the 10oz bars for $160. (about $1.40 over spot)

So to recap, I'm new to stacking and want to know what you're all seeing as far as "over spot prices" at your local coin shops.

Semper Fi,

Ghalterman

2. BoliverT.

BoliverT. New Member

Two dollars over spot for rounds or plain bars I think is over priced when it can be easily found much cheaper, but if you want to feel it up before buying I guess the LCS would be your best bet.

3. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

What kind of rounds are you talking about? Two bucks over is a bit higher than they charge here, but that is not outrageous. If you are buying just a few here and there it won't matter but if you are going to buy a larger amount it might add up. I agree with you on not wanting to buy through the mail. Locally, generic buffalo head type rounds go for $1.50 or so over spot.
    Brand new ASE's are about 3.00 over spot for a whole tube of 20. Maples are not much less than the Eagles.

Jim

4. Ghalterman

Ghalterman New Member

I paid the $2 over spot for 10oz bars. I only bought a few buffalos (10) because he ran out of the bars. Some were a little less than $2 over spot at the time. I paid $16 and ounce when spot was between $14 and $14.65. Same price per bar. $160 per 10oz.

5. JNS

JNS Active Member Silver Stacker

I also did a research in my area for the selling prices, So terrible and outrageously high. So i depend on my work travel when buying. Lucky to have a LCS in your place. If you are a frequent buyer in small quantity, It is really a fair deal.

6. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

We need Sammy to pop up a thread about the bottom being in.
    Come on Sammy help us out, i was looking for some gutter priced silver.