Cashless Society - Contemplating The Ultimate Surrender To Government

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by Caput Lupinum, May 17, 2015.

1. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Interesting read. All hypothetical opinion by the author except for Denmark contemplating being a guinea pig for it but thought provoking none the less. As deflation gets worse and central banks push harder for negative interest rates or higher bank levies on deposits to stop people from hoarding their cash, the more likely this would be to occur. They would want to introduce a cashless society but allow banks to fail next time round so there is justification to nationalize the banks and have ultimate control of people's finances and to prevent bank runs.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickung...e-ultimate-surrender-to-government-control/3/

2. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Endless examples hitting the headlines everywhere now.

Of course this is the Western world. I can't imagine Asia or South America embracing the cashless society. Just us trained Western sheep.

From ZeroHedge

3. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Interesting comments section:

"
    They will come for the cash first -- and then for the Ag and au.

Plan accordingly.
    "

4. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Old Klingon proverb

5. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I would think that they would want to do it simultaneously otherwise some people would simply buy precious metals instead of holding cash. A zero yielding asset like gold and silver is still better than negatively yielding cash.

6. tozak

tozak Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I like how they state there would be a dramatic reduction in crime if there was no cash.

LMAO, that should be in the JOTD section.

I take it they can't think more than one step ahead?

So when Zimbabwe effectively lost it's cash through hyperinflation what happened? They instantly switched to US dollars and creek gold and the crime rate went through the roof. The connections made to cash in society and the crime rate is false logic. Any time you remove cash it's instantly replaced with an alternative, be it by force or by the market place.

7. dingobiscuit

dingobiscuit New Member

Electronic movement of funds is great for convenience. A lot of people still enjoy using cash but ultimately having the OPTION of payment type is what it is all about.

If pushed into a corner I somehow don't think the general populace would buy into all their transactions being electronic, more items would be traded via barter systems etc. and Bitcoin et. al. would have a much stronger allure.

Crime would remain the same it will just shortcut the electronic system which could be more direct and dangerous.