2014 Mineral Art amber series - 2oz Taj Mahal

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Sully, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Sully

Sully Member

I have read with interest some threads in recent times praising the new series of "insert" coins. Pena Palace comes to mind.
    Stunning degrees of detail and general wow factor..... have all been mentioned. With oh's and ah's at videos and close-up shots.
    While these new coins have their merits and are pleasing to the eye, they are not in the same class as the established series.
    And believe me i don't like to be downbeat on a perfectly adequate coin, because i appreciate it for what it is, but Pena Palace cannot even claim stunning degree of detail.
    Adequate detail - yes. Stunning - not a chance.

Quietly and without the deserved fanfare in this forum, the 6th coin in the mineral art amber series was released and shipped last month.
    I've attempted to take some close range shots of my one to illustrate what stunning detail really means.
    Any blurring is down to my weak camera and poor ability. :)
    Also, my photos don't do justice to the beautiful high reliefs.
    The first pictures are the large published images of the coin.
    The next is one of these scaled down to approximate size of the coin (50mm). (To help put my own close-up shots in context.)
    And the last images are my own photos of sections of the coin.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

actual size (ish) [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pena Palace - step back down please. You're not in the same league. :/

2. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

but but it doesn't has the "New Technology" so it can't be better :p

I like this coin a lot and had a hard time not buying one and it is definatly on my list. Thanks for sharing actual pictures of the coin, looks that much better.

3. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

The drawing looks very nice but until we can see a video of the actual coin to compare with the actual coin in the video of the Pena Palace, I reserve judgement and will not put this on my want list as of now. The photos show nice detail but the coin looks flat in those photos.

With the Pena Palace coin video of the actual coin, the standard has been set. Why put a coin on my want list if that coin can not come up to the standard already set.

4. mmissinglink

Incidentally, I just went back to look at the video of the Pena Palace coin and was again struck at the incredibly intricate details of the tiles on the Palace and the amazing fine textures of the natural stones, rocks, and ice on the other side.

See for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QWb68tJUS8

5. Nabullion Dynamite

How well do coins like the Taj Mahal and the Pena Palace hold value over time? I know short term they can go up or down from purchase price due to demand and other factors but like 10,20 or more years? Will they sell for about the same inflation adjusted(or not) or will they just be pretty coins from forgotten collections that will give a little over spot.

6. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

Taj Mahal is very high on my list of the places/buildings that I really want to visit. I always liked Arabic and Persian stories and settings like Prince of Persia games (well at least the newer ones) and stories from 1001 night.

Also the history behind Taj Mahal is interesting. Church turned into mosque.

Comparing coins was never an easy job. If I could have both I would buy Pena and Taj. But I think I prefer Taj Mahal over Palace, as well as red insert over green one and Palau coat of arms over Queen.

But still I hope to have one day both, to compare them "hand to hand" knowing that somewhere in the future some coin will be even more amazing.^^

7. mmissinglink

Not sure. The first series of very high detail and crystal/mineral insert architecture coins was the Tiffany Art series. Prices in general for these are still quite high last time I checked.

Every year there are awards given to honor various coins. If one of these coins gets an award(s) that would likely propel it's demand and possibly it's price. But we won't know about this till 2015 when awards are given for 2014 coins.

Not sure how these exceptional coins will do over 10 or more years. A lot can change in 10 years.

8. HAC888

HAC888 Member

Emperor Shah Jahan himself described the Taj Mahal in these words:

Should guilty seek asylum here,
    Like one pardoned, he becomes free from sin.
    Should a sinner make his way to this mansion,
    All his past sins are to be washed away

In 1631, Shah Jahan, emperor during the Mughal empire's period of greatest prosperity, was grief-stricken when his third wife, Mumtaz Mahal, a Persian princess, died during the birth of their 14th child, Gauhara Begum.[15] Construction of the Taj Mahal began in 1632.[16] The court chronicles of Shah Jahan's grief illustrate the love story traditionally held as an inspiration for Taj Mahal.[17][18] The principal mausoleum was completed in 1648 and the surrounding buildings and garden were finished five years later. ( for the total of 21 years) He was jailed in the nearby building by his son. He was not allow to enter Taj Mahal. Only After he died, His body then allow to join his Wife in the Taj Mahal. There are a lots interesting and fascinate story about Taj Mahal for example the wring on the wall All Calligraphy that you are not see them in the coin.. Please search online for more.

Below are some enjoying music .. food for the soul especially those in love , been in love, or loved.

This a magnificent song especially written for the Taj Mahal by Yanni.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMofW5G2DR0

yanni in live taj mahal Renegade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbFV07LteXw

9. Stark

Definitely need to check this. Thanks!:)

10. Stark

Damn, I mix this a little bit with Hagia Sophia. The HS was Christian church before, not Taj Mahal. Shame on me...:/

11. Stark

In the past I was checking prices of the Tiffany art coins daily. If the same applies now I dunno. First coins in the series are being sold for 1000$+. Newer ones have usually high price at the release and then it drops. I guess I would get not 2013 for less than I paid at that time. I doubt they fall under initial selling price. Problem is that's really hard to get them for initial price since they are usually sold out like hotcakes.

If I'm not wrong first Tiffany Art coin that received award was not the first one, but second. And it didn't get award for "coin of the year" but for the most innovative coin. After that demand increased a lot. At least this told me once some guy who was selling 1st or 2nd on the feeBay.

It's also not necessary that if coin receives COTY that the prices will increase, but usually chances are higher. :)

12. alexbecks

alexbecks Member

The Tiffany series has been enriched with a Kilo coin dated 2014, beside the usual 2 Oz coins.
    This Tiffany Kilo coin has been sold in the range of $5,000 at issue date (begin of this year), and recently around $10,000. There were 2 available at power coin last week, now sold out. Definitely one of the best selling series.
    Alex.

13. Sully

Sully Member

Sorry about that - hope these help :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Stark

Mamma mia.....:D:D

15. alexbecks

alexbecks Member

oh my goodness, these pictures are stunning!
    Alex.

16. storesilver

storesilver New Member

17. Nabullion Dynamite

I'm a little concerned. I scored one of these on the bay for a very nice price. Upon receiving it I noticed the capsule is loose and can be opened extremely easily(I opened in on accident). There doesn't appear to be any fingerprints or anything but is this going to be a problem in the future? What should I do? Its a beautiful coin and I'd hate to see it ruined by tarnish,

18. mmissinglink

Capsules are not designed to be air tight, not even Air-Tite capsules are.

If you are concerned about tarnish, never stored encapsulated coins without sealing them in non-PVC plastic protection. If you don't, likely they will tarnish over time. For even better protection, you may want to look into getting a vacuum sealing system for your coin bags.

19. Nabullion Dynamite

Great, thanks for the tips!

20. TasmaniaChrismy

TasmaniaChrismy Member

Dear all, do these types of high premium coins hold its value over few years(2-3)?