Polyethylene Snap Lock Bags For Storage?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by SilverDJ, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well...one things for sure...most folk would agree, "Not" to store silver in PVC (Polyvinyl chloride) because the plastic can ruin your silver coins during long term storage. :)

2. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Has anyone used Mylar?

Mylar zip lock bags might be of interest???

3. nickybaby

nickybaby Active Member Silver Stacker

Hi chip,

Now I only have two degrees in chemistry but I can try to give you some polymer chemistry lessons. I appreciate your engineering background is far superior.

Poly means many and mer means unit. Therefore polymers are built up of many units.

They are built from monomers (mono means one unit).

So many monomers are added together to make a polymer.

Polyethylene is many ethelyene units added together. Ethylene has the formula c2h4.

Polyethylene ( or polythene to give it the correct IUPAC name) is made out of hydrogen and carbon only. Both of which are not reactive with silver. Polyethelene does not contain sulphur or chlorine.

Now plastics ( the generic term for all polymers) can contain sulphur or chlorine, but they should be in the name. Polystyrene, polypropene and polythene all contain carbon and hydrogen only and should be fine to store your pms in.

P.v.c. Is poly vinyl chloride ( from the monomer mono chloro ethene, sometimes known as vinyl chloride) and does alas contain chlorine. As an aside the cabon chlorine bond is not found in nature, so this chlorine compound is solely man made. Chlorine is a favourite of silver and the two bond we'll together.

I'm interested in your recipe. What is your initiator? Do you use addition polymerisation or condensation polymerisation? If your recipe is that good you should market it!!!! Do you use a zeiger- natta style catalyst to made the polymer chains line up straighter? How do you overcome back biting if you do not use a catalyst? Do you use polar bonding or I'd-I'd style inter molecular bonds to hold your polymer chains together?
    How do you extrude your plastics into fine sheets?

Now my only problem with you post is that I do understand the basics of polymer chemistry. It can be taught in a day. Polythene may come in many blocks but it does not contain sulphur or chlorine. If you would like some lessons on this my going rate is three silver ase an hour and please don't put them in your secret recipe.

Nick

4. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Nice Nick. Way to stick a pipe up the kiesta. Let's see how chipmunk responds thems facts.

5. Miksture

Miksture Active Member Silver Stacker

6. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

7. tomfernandez

tomfernandez New Member

Are polyethylene bags also ok for silver storage?

8. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

:rolleyes:
    Have you read the post ?

9. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

10. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

OWNED!

I love forums, someone always knows!
    Thanks.
    Glad polyethylene bags it is.

11. phrenzy

phrenzy In Memoriam - July 2017 Silver Stacker

if people are so worried about using PE bags maybe you should think about investing in some noble gas positive pressure storage, a little argon in a box.
    Back in the crazier days of pokemon and MTG days someone got the clever idea of advertising that they nitrogen stabilised the cards they sold by putting them in screw down air tight containers in a nitrogen atmosphere. I doubt it did much good but they charged at least 10% more than their competition and they must have sold a few.

The only real problem with PE bags is they get little holes in them fairly easy if you pack and stack and unstack bars covered by them. Still my go to for regular bars.

12. tomfernandez

tomfernandez New Member

I bought a $20 heat sealer from eBay and plan on placing my bullion in 4mil clear polyethylene bags and sealing them up. Most of the bars are in the original seal, I'm trying to protect the bar and the seal from tears and a little higher level of protection against dings. Thanks, great forum.

13. Teal Deer

Teal Deer Member

The material of a receptacle to use to store bullion has to be the most ridiculous thing to withhold from someone I've ever seen. Particularly immediately after noting that you know what it should be.

14. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

Not if the whole thing is just another jackass put-on and there is in fact no such thing.

To all those who are looking for well-presented, sane, logical, rational, articulate, straightforward information from the Chipmunk...
    Good luck! You'll need it. Don't try to hold your breath while waiting, because it's going to take a while (like maybe after hell freezes over).