How do you store your treasure??

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Shippeevt, Nov 1, 2014.

1. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

2. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

heres mine

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/1033_000_0041.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

3. Orbit

Orbit New Member

Amazing craftsmanship, I highly doubt anyone will be able to crack that.
    Now, slap an apple sticker on top.

4. MachCheetah

MachCheetah New Member

What is the size of a SDB? Just curious as to what my hundred or so dollars a year gets me

5. Barrye

Barrye Member

How does that work sammysilver? :|

6. Barrye

Barrye Member

Guardian Vaults. It's not a bank so hopefully it will remain open if we get an unexpected bank holiday. :/

7. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I lied.

8. phrenzy

phrenzy In Memoriam - July 2017 Silver Stacker

SDBs must be cheaper in the eastern states, or I really need to shop around. The one I wanted cost $300pa.

9. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

[​IMG]
    And inside

[​IMG]

10. CFP

CFP New Member

300 pa must have been a big box?
    comm bank has big boxes but its a year wait atm plus its a bit of a PITA system they have.

11. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

12. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

I use a safe for now, I will switch to a safe deposit box once I reach my goal. I store all my valuables in the one safe simply to keep them safe incase of a fire. I have the bottom shelf loaded with copper pennies, weighs a conciderable amount so it will not be easy to take off with. Not the most secure system but it works for now.

I have my investment guns stored in the safe aswell. They are slathered in the origional packaging oil and cosmoline, anyone know if these oils outgassing will have an effect on my silver?

13. phrenzy

If I can give one piece of advice when it comes to safes it's to secure it as many ways as you can to the house. Bolting it to the floor is a good start but if you can attach it to the house with cable or some other way that's good too. Also hide it.
    Safes are a really obvious target and they get taken out of houses all the time.
    Also, if you get broken in to and the safe is untouched get all your valuables or of it Pronto, they're likely coming back with a winch or an oxy torch.

Hidden low security safes are much safer than big safes in the corner of an office or somewhere in display. If your concern is fire you should think about a fireproof lock box and putting it under the floor/hole in the backyard or in the roof. If you like your safe think about putting a hollowed out cupboard or something over it so everyone who walks through the house doesn't see it's there.

I say they, I know someone with a 6 by 4 foot 3 ton bastard antique of a thing that would be a serious challenge for even a seriously well planned robbery. They have a table cloth that covers like a third of it like it's hiding anything. Amazing piece of engineering, I have no idea how they got it inside the house without a crane and dropping it through the roof.

14. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

A safe is an invitation for a gun held to your wife's head. Must get one.

15. Nabullion Dynamite

Thanks for your advice. I am very well aware of the negative side of having a safe. Living in my buddies place I am limited on options to secure it. I keep it heavy and out of the way, and don't show it to anyone who doesn't need to know about it. For now it is just one step above keeping my goodies hidden under my bed and forms some kind of resistence to theft. Everything in my safe is photographed, I keep the reciepts in a fireproof box seperate with serial numbers all recorded. I will get a safe deposit box when I reach my goal and am over the urge to look at my stack every couple weeks :p Our house is well armed and we have a couple dogs, I hope that will deter random breakins, I will certainly move everything if a breakin did occur.

16. phrenzy

Dogs certainly help prevent getting broken into in the first place.

You'd be amazed, we'd get a call, someone needs something out of their safe and lost the key or forgot the combination or the mechanism is broken. No problem, bring it in. 15 minutes later someone shows up at the shop with a safe. If it took you 15 minutes to get your safe in the car and down to the shop on a casual afternoon imagine how long it takes a professional. All that you've achieved is locking yourself out.

Still if you can make it difficult most thieves will just go next door, unless your being targeted, they are all about the low hanging fruit.

Definately good for a fire though. I saw cash in a fairly cheap safe survive a fire that burned a house down to the foundation and warped the steel of the old oven. The fridge was almost as good at protecting things though I wouldn't keep my valuables in there (this was my dad's strategy when he briefly bought gold, kept it in small bags in a tub of yogurt).

17. Shippeevt

Shippeevt Member

You have to get past the gun to get my treasure! I'm sure I'm not the only one!

18. Nabullion Dynamite

Yup, past the guns :p I have my stuff rigged like the house in Mr and Ms Smith. You have no idea where you will be when they strike and I don't want to be making a sammich or dropping a duece and be unprepared.

19. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

20. JNS

JNS Active Member Silver Stacker

I do not know where my wifey hide my gold, I wake up empty handed in the next morning :)