hello and please point me in the right direction

Discussion in 'Welcome New Members' started by frezel, Aug 26, 2014.

1. frezel

frezel New Member

Hello everyone father of 3 looking to invest in silver right now for the future and am totally lost as to whether to collect coins vs bullion and what type . Please poi.t me in the right direction and or forum please feel free to private message me.

2. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

3. screaming eagle

screaming eagle Active Member Silver Stacker

Welcome. Do a quick search of the forums and you'll find a multitude of opinions regarding what to/not to buy. In a nutshell, I would say spend only what you can afford to, buy something that interests you or that you enjoy and don't expect it to make you rich overnight. Personally, I prefer bars however there is nothing wrong with coins.

4. Russ4570

Russ4570 New Member

Gday and welcome. If it is Qty that your after then bars and rounds are the way to go. If you know coins and don't mind hunting for the right deals then that will suit also.
    If your live in a big city that is near a Bullion store that will save you a heap in postage.
    With the online sellers be aware of hidden prices (aka credit cards etc) and ridiculous postage costs. There are a few that are better than the others.
    There are always sales going on here as people trade in and out of bullion and that can save you a heap. Try and work out why you are going into silver(sounds like you already have) long term for security or short term for profit. put aside a weekly amount and then buy with that. Some traders will let you accumulate purchases and then post at certain intervals to save on postage.
    Good Luck. I'll PM you some links.

5. danman49

danman49 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi! What they said! And see if you can get the kids interested, though that might end up costing you more!

6. FNQsilver

FNQsilver Member

Welcome from a fellow newbie.

Not sure that silver is the best investment vehicle,(serious players might disagree ) but it can act as a long term store of wealth, hopefully :), short term profit would require a lot of research / effort, just like any other investment.

It is an interesting way to spend some of your disposal income though, as Greg said above, look for something you like, once found it gives more satisfaction than looking at a super / shares portfolio, something to do with being able to hold what you have purchased I guess, with the added benefit of being shiny, artistic , historic, exclusive depending which way you go.

Other option is to purchase the biggest quantities at the cheapest prices ( large bars, un-allocated) and hang on for the ride!

Once again welcome and enjoy stacking.