Am I the only one?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by barsenault, Jul 23, 2014.

1. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Who has zero gold, but a 'ton' of silver, and no other investments? Just curious. I had several ounces of gold, but sold them, because the GSR is too high. I know it is essentially meaningless, because it could go to 100 - 1. But I'm a betting man, and rolled the dice accordingly. I'm all in silver, stored away in a facility. I really have no other investments. I don't trust them. I've been burned too many times. I enjoy the hobby of collecting silver. I enjoy taking my fiat and putting it in to something tangible. Even though, the price of silver has been hit hard over the last few years, doesn't matter to me. I've invested in the stock market where shares of stock I had, went to ZERO. ZIP. NADA. ZILCH. I highly doubt silver will go that low. So, with all that being said, anyone else all in just silver or am I the only psycho.

p.s. And spare me of the, 'not such a great idea.' Or you better diversify. Blah, blah, blah. I've heard it all. I know the risk I'm taking. And as I've said, I've played my hand accordingly. You?

2. Revils

Revils Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm trying to keep PM between 10-20% total assets.
    Of that 10-20%; 10-20% in gold and the rest in silver.

3. valuecreator

valuecreator Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think I have 1/4 oz of gold somewhere.

But then in six months time I could be 90% gold....

4. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I like silver, but not that much.

I have a bit of gold though I did exchange about 25% of my gold for silver when the GSR hit 65. I haven't bought any since the GSR was >50.

I have still been buying physical silver with my own money but not as much, I have a fair bit of the stuff and I am a bit converned about over capitalising on it. I have taken on a few new loans and I am going to use my precious metals budget for paying the loans off quicker.

My SMSF has some unallocated silver and gold but I have stopped buying unallocated and I am now adding a house with the money I was spending on Precious Metals.

I have a couple of other properties all leveraged and another off the plans on its way.

It is a massive house of cards but I am investing for my wife as well so between the two of us we should be able to manage. I hate giving the banks the money, and I hate paying interest, but I don't want to be living on cat food in my retirement so I figure I will take the risks now and if it all goes horribly wrong I will still have a few years to make good.

I don't think any of us are really aware of the risks we are taking otherwise we would mostly just stay indoors and never make any decisions.

I am not judgemental in anyway, how you spend your money is entirely up to you but if you keep pouring money into a depreciating asset then I don't know how you will fair in the future, stocks and shares can vaporise which is why I don't have any but nor do I want to be left sitting on a big pile of worthless metal. Aluminium used to be one of the most expensive metals on the planet, worth more than gold.

Good luck with it, you are taking a massive gamble on something that may or may not come off, at least you have a forum of people who will be with you whatever happens.

5. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Very thoughtful and appreciate the feedback. I know it is a gamble for sure. I'm not so sure I see the correlation between a metal that has been considered money for thousands of years vs. Aluminum. Tulips were more valauable than gold too. :) We know what happened there. Not here to poke fun by any stretch, your comments were well constructed. The only investment I've had good luck with (not lost money) is my medals investement. I've lost money at everything else. 401k, stocks, houses, etc...but I still have my silver, and have sold a hunk of it, and made some good money. I can't see it going below 15 in the worst of times, and even then, I'm okay. I still have money in the bank. :) The question that does often come up in my mind is, there are millions...and some years 40 million oz of eagles sold. I know it has a world-wide audience. But what if all those millions and millions were to hit the market at relatively the same time frame. Say when silver possibly hits 50 (as example), what happens to the price? I'd have to imagine those 100's of millions will take the price down. It is a curious thought I have. Granted, I understand that some will never sell, and it is insurance. I'm sorry, but for me, it is insurance, sure, but I'm looking to sell it at some point and buy a house with it (paid in full). And no, for me, silver doesn't need to go to 500...or even a 100 to get to my goal. Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Good luck with your houses. I'm sure they'll do you well. As long as the renters keep paying the montly. :)

6. valuecreator

valuecreator Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

RE = peaking

Stocks = peaking

Bonds = Mother of all bubble

Currencies = Really?

Commodities = Cheap/Expensive depending on which one

Gold = Real cheap

Silver = Dirt cheap

The gamble is the the first four, specially if you use leverage and don't adjust your returns for real inflation.

7. moo

moo Member

2.5% silver 7.5% gold 10% skills 80% property. Renovations will take the most over the next couple of years but will prove the highest return once flipped- if the market stays steady.

8. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

I have majority of my investment in time deposits/currency trades and currently exploring property market.
    Precious metals as of now consist of 50% in my investment portfolio, i bumped my metals allocation from 20% to 50% as I fear economy collapse is coming soon.

Of my 50% metals I have 90% on gold bullion coins and 10% on silver modern numismatics (in $$, not ounces).
    Gold will save my ass when economy is bad, but I treat my silver numismatics as a business and not an investment... buy low sell high... take quick profit and invest in somewhere else.

I want my investment to generate income... like rental, interest, dividends... my 1oz of gold is still 1oz of gold after 5 years even when I put Queen Elizabeth (maples) with King Edward (sovereign) in the same box :lol:

I understand where you are coming from Barsenault... I sold some of my silver numismatics and currently my books show 70% returns when my gold are still underwater; however I take this as just being lucky (mainly by riding the hype and offload my numismatics when they are still in hot demand). If I am not mistaken you have "invested" quite a fair bit on modern numismatics especially on Chinese medals but do ask yourself... when economy collapse it might be difficult to find buyers for your medals.

When you actively trade numismatics it is no different from trading stamps, limited edition Lego sets... it becomes a business no longer an investment in my own definition.

My 2-cents worth. ;)

9. Jamie

Jamie New Member

Precious metals, specifically silver, comprises about a small portion of my total portfolio. My current goal is to use about 5% of future investments to purchase precious metals. I have had different experiences with other investments, so I feel comfortable spreading money around to investment vehicles. I see silver as a wealth maintainer and insurance.
    There is nothing wrong with being passionate about your investments and if you feel most comfortable with silver, stick with it. And as stated earlier in the thread it's your money, spend it the way you want.

10. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Silver did lose me a bit of money over the past couple of years but I just spent $30k renovating one of my properties so there are no sure things in life. The silver didn't generate any income, the house did.

Aluminium was not in a bubble, unlike tulip mania which was driven by speculation, aluminium was a very expensive metal until suddenly it wasn't. Changes in production dropped the cost significantly and although the number of uses for the metal increased, its value decreased. I would hate to have been sitting on a pile of aluminium in 1886 when it went from being a 'Precious Metal' to just being a 'Metal'. Same goes for silver, at the moment it is considered a precious metal but that doesn't mean it will always be so.

Silver does have some industrial uses, but if those uses are replaced, in much the same way that digital photography has replaced the need for silver in photography, then the demand will decrease. Betting on prices rising while demand decreases is a bit of a risk.

Silver coins are an interesting hobby, but just as stamp collecting has taken a hit since the introduction of email, coin collecting has taken a hit since the introduction of credit cards, online payments and internet banking. I am a member of a coin club and I give presentations to a couple of others and at 40+, I am one of the younger members. At a recent show we were giving away bags of world coins to kids to see if any of them were interested in collecting, they couldn't care less! Most of the coin shows seem to be full of middle age men or older, with the occassional kid dragged along. I would not be relying on there being a massive fan base to sell your coins to.

Phonecard collecting has all but died out completely, many people with rare phonecards can't find anyone to offload them to.

At the end of the day, with coin collecting on the wain, silver no longer being used as money, technologies changing etc. I can't see a lot of reason to put everything into silver.

But I am still here, on this forum and I am still buying silver, so I can't even follow my own advice. When silver goes up to $26 again I will probably sell a fair bit of the bulk and use the money to pay down some debt, which is what I should have done the last time it hit $26 (not a magic number, just my break even cost!)

11. Eruaran

Eruaran Member

I had a little gold but I sold it. I thought about buying some today but as usual, when it comes to the crunch, I bought silver again. Compared to gold, silver is cheap as dirt, and I don't have a lot of money so its nice to be able to buy a few ounces in comparison to a tiny amount of gold. I like opals too... Saw some at the market and then looked at some expensive flamey ones online, they're pretty things, I might collect some... :p

12. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm the opposite. I have more gold than silver but have more dollar value invested in shares and private companies. Variety is the spice of life

13. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm with you, however, I have a lot of silver in a vault, and should the SHTF, it will be a hell of a job getting it home if need be. If the GSR goes under 35, I might switch from silver to gold.

14. ScottyRS

ScottyRS New Member

I only stated a few months back but with my wedding this year I can't quite push for gold investments just yet. I'm all silver. Since the investment is long term for my daughter, she also has a savings account that 'fiat' gets paid into. This can quickly be absorbed straight into gold & silver if required. Many more years are ahead of me to stack up :)

15. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

I have 1/4 of gold but that is only because it is a graded 1989 U.S 5$ gold coin that I bought because that was my birthyear. I'm sticking with silver for the moment because it is cheaper and less feels like more! If and when the GSR goes down I will gladly exchange for gold. I did buy a 1oz gold bar but sold it soon after since I prefered silver.

16. Burg0

Burg0 New Member

85% Property, 15% managed funds. Just haven't been brave enough to pull the trigger. Since I'm new to PM's, it's looking favourably to silver. This morning, it was Au though :)

17. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I have a 1/4 oz gold somewhere in my SDB. The only reason I am not more invested in gold as a percentage to silver is because of cost and GSR. But pm's are not where most of my $$ are invested in.

All places where we invest our $$ has risk.....whether silver, real estate, or the paper markets.

Post #10 is the most sound argument as to why I am not invested all in on silver....particularly the apropos analogy to aluminum.

100's of millions of bullion ASE's will eventually hit the market and some (perhaps a significant amount) of it possibly in a period of several months to a few short years or so (depending on a number of factors)....that will be a disaster for anyone who thinks they can get decent premiums on a product that is being dumped by the tons. That's just the most likely scenario that I can think of based on human nature and the current realities on the ground today. But I may be wrong on this. Time will tell I suppose.

In another thread I had written that if you are stacking silver (and if you are not a dealer, just an average stacker) just for the silver content (bullion), then I see paying $1.79 or anything higher than the lowest possible premiums on bullion seems like a waste of money to me. On the other hand, if you are buying silver products because you want to turn around one day and capitalize on collector premiums that may accrue, then I see paying higher than the lowest premium as not so much a waste of money. Of course there's a decent chance that high premiums may not accrue on many coins purchased today but some certainly will gain premium values. But either way, whether your plan is to sell common bullion blobs or coins on a spot rise for spot (minus dealer buy back premium) or sell coins to collectors who are willing to pay premiums, there's risk involved.

Jizlizard did bring up an important point about collectors though. Smaller numbers, if true, is probably not a good trend for those who are eventually looking to sell collector coins they have purchased. That said, record sales have been taking place with rare numismatic coins. Will this eventually translate into helping boost interest in modern collector coins? I don't know.

18. Torcan

Torcan New Member Silver Stacker

42% Silver
    56% Gold
    2% Platinum
    on my PM's

19. motorbikez

motorbikez Member Silver Stacker

I'm about 90% silver 10% gold physical, and I own shares in 2 heavyweight mining Companies FRES & RRS,I also own my own property outright I did have 2 but divorce blew it away, along with a shed load of money. I buy silver coins more for pleasure than investment it is my hobby along with motorcycling.

20. slvcoins

slvcoins New Member

I'd say Im 60& silver to 40% gold, gold is so much smaller to store :)

with the sideways chop in silver the past year, when prices moves next it will be somewhat volatile ... nothing is for certain, but is the 3 year downtrend broken?