Today I found in my change...............

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by hiho, Oct 28, 2012.

1. OneDay

OneDay Active Member Silver Stacker

up to 57 coronation coins.

2. Sa_bogan

Sa_bogan Active Member Silver Stacker

Post office held onto a round 50 for me. First 50 for only 50c!

3. Andy28

Andy28 Well-Known Member

so yesterday I got a red poppy at the cafe. Coin itself not in bad shape, though it is now a circulated-uncirculated. The red has 3 lines it, im guessing nail marks from people guessing what is. Pretty strange though right?

edit: oops I guess they were circulated at RSLs...

4. Byron

Byron Guest

And at 10 bucks a pop, it must have been someone unaware of its value. Maybe a kid spending grandpas gift.

5. Andy28

Andy28 Well-Known Member

oh ok so they were actually only for sale at $10. For a minute I was thinking the RSLs had them to give out in change.

6. Silver Octopus

Silver Octopus Member

damn, I didnt know that. I got heaps of them in change a few months back and spent them again.... d'oh :mad:

7. Andy28

Andy28 Well-Known Member

you got a whole bunch of the red ones in change? I am really confused now, surely there can't be so many people spending purchased $10 coins for hteir $2 face value.

According the RAM website the RSLs had 500 000 coloured coins to "circulate". Were they being given out in exchange for a $10 donation or something?

8. jimbo k

jimbo k New Member

this weekend, I found a 2010 $1 (100 years of coinage) coin in my change. I didn't think that this coin was in circulation. Which made me look at the coins I've kept from the last year or so (which isn't much compared to most of you in here. lol). The major ones I've found and kept are:
    - 1992 $1 coin (Barcelona Games)
    - 1995 $1 coin (Waltzing Matilda)
    - 2007 $1 coin (the Ashes)
    - 2012 $2 Remembrance Day coins x10 (could have had about 20, but initially spent the first 10. Silly me!)
    (sadly, I am also yet to find any Coronation coins or red Remembrance coins in my change)

I've found the normal commemorative 20c, 50c and $1 coins, which I saved and then spent.

On a side note, I've kept all (bar 2) of the 20cents 2013 Canberra Centenary coins, to see how many I can keep and save. I've got $12 with (60 of them). About $7 worth I got quickly, with the rest, been getting them randomly. I got rid of 2 as they were damages. I don't know what un going to do with these coins though

9. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

Well on Saturday I was given a purple coronation $2coin in my change at Costco and when I asked if he had anymore he looked at it and said damn if I seen it I wouldn't have given it to you.... My response "too late buddy"

This is after I went through around $3-4000 in bank bags(lots of poppies) and then my father in law gets one and I had to beg him for it because I'm not paying for an unc/circulated after I already bought a carded

10. Andy28

Andy28 Well-Known Member

The rate of poppys to coronations I have found is certainly not 2.5:1 as the mintages would suggest. Perhaps more people hanging on to the coronation due to the colour? In my stash the ratio is about 4:1

11. Billythekid

Billythekid New Member

Have just been directed to this thread after starting one somewhere else. Whoops.

In the last few months I received as change; an American quarter (supposed to be 10c) , a Solomom islands 10c (again supposed to be a 10c piece) and just the other day this 2 shilling piece which was supposed to be a 20c piece. My kids got a round 50 a while back that i guess was supposed to be a 20c piece.

Here's the 2 shillings

[​IMG]

how much silver in 2 shillings? Is it English or Australian?

Bill

12. Tacrezod

Tacrezod Member

Don't get too excited. It's a pommy 10p. Copper/nickel.

13. LTEK4NZ

LTEK4NZ Member Silver Stacker

finally got a Coloured coronation $2. and a fairly good condition 1966 10c along with it.

14. Shamatti

Shamatti Member

I have a habit of emptying the change from my pockets every few days into a change box, for a rainy day. There are hundreds of coins in there. I recently retrieved a New Zealand One Dollar - I presume given to me as a $2 - so that is what I found in my change today.

This got me thinking. Well, this thread has!

What else should I be looking out for in that bug tub of coinage? I noticed some interesting looking 50c coins. If I am feeling mored tomorrow and go through them all, which ones should I keep to one side?

15. Bank Manager

Bank Manager Member Silver Stacker

I've picked up a heaps of numis over the years from circulation

3 x incused 50c
    2x $200 koala's for $200 each!
    100's of round 50's, you would be amazed at how many people still cash these in for 50c, bags at a time.

The best one had to be a coombs randall $20 in aEF for face value. :eek:

Not far off was the bloke who bought in his deceased fathers quote "shitty coins"..... mint sets in folders from 60's and 70's incl a 1972 mint set (books for about $60). cashed them all for face value...... $0.88c each..... the teller told him he should take them to the coin shop round the corner, "can't be bothered" Also changed about $400 in $1 $2 & $5 paper notes, half of which were COA.... :/

I am yet to see a $1 2000 mule in circ, much better chance of picking one up if you live in Perth.

always interesting coins in your change. great thread, cheers

16. Shamatti

Shamatti Member

Strangest thing in the world happened.

After reading this thread for the first time last night, I was in town today to do a couple of jobs. Peckish, I grabbed a sushi roll to scoff on the trot. $2.40. Gave over a $5 and threw the change in my pocket. Later, pulled a handfull of change from my pocket to pay for something and 1 coin stood out from all the others, it was too shiny.

I found my first poppy! First purchase of the day and I find my first poppy, having only first heard of them in this thread last night! What are the chances?

Well chuffed! :D

17. LTEK4NZ

LTEK4NZ Member Silver Stacker

Thinking of going to the bank and ordering a few thousand in $1 & $2 coins.

Is it worth the time sorting?

18. Shamatti

Shamatti Member

So, you got me searching through my coins! :)

I found 2 Australia Landcare $1 coins

I found some interesting 50c coins:

One has a Koala, a Cockatoo and a Wombat on it. No writing. But the Wombat does a 50 printed on it! lol There is a tiny JS
    A 1788 - 1988 commemorative with a ship and Australia, Souther cross stars and stuff on it. I just noticed that Australia has "New Holland" on it!
    A Melbourne 2006 Commonwealth games with people and animals on, And what looks like a frog holding a spear??? Dog knows what that's supposed to be? Also has a tiny KG

Somew odd 20c coins:

Several World War 1939 - 1945 coming home with whatmust be a family reunion on them
    An International Woman's Day 1911 - 2011
    A William Catherine engagement/marriage (It's 2011 so whatever that is) with the [strike]horrid[/strike] err... Happy couple on. This has a tiny circle with a G in it to the right?
    A Taxation office centenary coin (Working for all Australians it says!!!! OH Really!!??)
    An International year of volunteers 10th aniversary coin

And a 10c coin with a beautiful butterfly on it. It looks a nit like a tribal war mask, but it is deffo a butterfly in my mind! 1980 - Strangely it has New Zealand printed on the other side! :/ :p :D

Are any of these interesting?

19. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

"A Melbourne 2006 Commonwealth games with people and animals on, And what looks like a frog holding a spear??? Dog knows what that's supposed to be? Also has a tiny "
    put pics of this up and don't spend, it may be NCLT (non circulating legal tender)

20. Shamatti

Shamatti Member

Here is a quick snap I took, not very professional but I don't have time to set up my SLR and all the gubbins that goes with it!

[​IMG]