Best choices for 1/10 oz gold coins

Discussion in 'Gold' started by miniroo, Feb 28, 2014.

1. miniroo

miniroo Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi all,

I'm moving on from miniroo's..

[​IMG]

mostly because as I get older my vision becomes less, I can't see my miniroo's anymore unless I squint real hard.
    so the natural progression I think are 1/10 oz gold coins.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

If I walked into a dealer in Australia with these 6 coins and said they could buy any 5, which 5 would they pick and why?

If I listed these for sale individually on silver stackers, which 5 would most likely sell first?

If SHTF and I was bugging out in the bush and had to barter with these 6 coins for food/shelter/woman, are there any that may not sell?

Thanks, hope to get some opinions so I can make a more informed decision, I don't have any particular preference myself at this stage.

2. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

With prices being equal, would go for:
    Panda, kangaroo, maple, philharmonic, American eagle, krug

Id go for changing designs + 99.9% pure gold first.

3. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

If you are buying fractional gold you may be paying a relatively large premium which you may not get back when selling.
    I personally like the proof UK gold Britannia 1/10 oz but would always look for the bigger coins up to an ounce if fiat permits.

4. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

panda, AGE, philhar, roo, maple

5. worldbubble

premium payed for fractional are easily recoverable

6. SilverKendo

SilverKendo New Member

I am moving into 1/10th oz gold coins myself. I like the size of the coin, I like the price (even if the premium is a bit high) and I like that they are fractional so I don't need to save up long for one (plus who can make change for 1 oz of gold?). That being said I think the Panda and the Kangaroo have more semi-numismatic potential. The other four are a more pure bullion coin.

The popular opinion seems to be; hold on to local bullion because it is the easiest to flip if you need to get fast cash. It is most likely true. I doubt a local pawn shop would know what to do with a gold Philharmonic. Of ourse never being one to follow popular opinion my stacking goals are Canada, US, Mexico, UK and Austria. I feel like these are the least numi of the bullion coins (although Britannias and Libertads often can carry a higher premium for numi reasons). I am trying very hard to keep my numismatic interests and my bullion interests apart. Australia makes some super nice looking coins though. I'm very tempted by gold from down under.

I'm not stacking for SHTF so I don't entertain those ideas. I would imagine in a SHTF situation any gold will work the same, assuming the zombies don't get you before you can spend it and you can survive Thunderdome.

Cheers,
    Chris

7. miniroo

That's close to my own thoughts, the changing designs is a big one.
    the purity is another, whilst I know there's a lot of fractional gold coins with a % of gold,
    it's something I don't want to deal with, having to calculate gold content & value is not my cup of tea.

I like the Kruggerand because the name's cool, stacking freddy kruggers, yay!

Panda, kangaroo, philharmonic, maple, krugger, american eagle was the order I initially had in mind.
    in fact I already have the panda & kangaroo on order.

I'm confused with the panda, it says 999, and looking up everywhere it seems a panda is 99.90 pure? the kangaroo & maple is 99.99% pure, really pure.
    so if the idea is to consider purity then surely the panda is just midway?

the nice thing I like about panda's is apparently, the gold they use to make panda's is gold mined in china, unlike most other mints buying gold from different sources?

The other thing was Canadian Maples, it's quite obvious silver maples have become the skunk of silver coins with milk spots, who wants that problem?
    are people going off gold maples because of it's bad silver image?

No doubt the true representation of a modern bullion coin is the 1 oz version, everything else whether bigger or smaller is just an alternative size.
    they would be nice but i'd be bored as, waiting 6 months for my next piece of bullion if I was buying 1 oz coins, could even be a year appart as
    i'd always find something to spend some on before I got enough for the oz, like more kook's.

Premiums are over rated, go buy a 1/10 oz piece of gold for $148.70 which is spot, and turn it into a beautiful panda coin which sells for $175 for just $26 extra?
    I can buy 1kg of flour for $2 and bake a loaf of bread worth $4, I pay 100% premium for a loaf of bread which is simple to make.
    I bet it would cost me a lot more than $26.85 to make a gold panda, put a gov't guarantee of purity on it, a legal tender value and you got your money worth in the premium.

I think i'll reduce the variety down to just 2 and stick with the panda & kangaroo.
    seeing as kangaroos from early years mostly sell for the same price, I might look to buy a different year if I can.
    older versions of the 1/10 panda go for a higher price so I'll get the current year only on panda's.

ok Thanks, I guess I was on the right track from the start.

8. swoydaz

swoydaz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Lovely coins ;)

9. miniroo

Thanks, yeah I made 'em myself, just flattened out the miniroos with a hammer and carved out the designs.

10. iceblue

iceblue Well-Known Member

Lunar - not pictured but as an Aussie and readily available, very very liquid.
    Roo
    Panda
    Philly
    maple
  11. Lunarowl

Lunarowl Active Member Silver Stacker

For SHTF get the one that's most recognised. I.e. if you live in Aus get the roo, US - AGE, China - Pandas etc.
    But when S does HTF, not sure if Au/Ag will save you..

12. worldbubble

there're clear evidence that during SHTF gold saved people lives so it's better to have it than not ...

13. miniroo

yeah absolutely, gold speaks all languages, might come in handy simply as a bribe, or a first class train ticket out of danger..

[​IMG]

14. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

15. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

^^^^ Totally of topic, but notice how nearly all of them 99% are men ?

16. SilverTouch

SilverTouch Active Member Silver Stacker

What about the Lunars? They would be my pick

17. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

18. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

The five without GST applicable because the accounting is simpler. Wait, only 4 are GST-free :)

Also please put credits on images if you are going to borrow stock images off the web.

This. We have a customer who's stacking plan involves buying up boxes of every size gold and silver Lunar they can afford, wait a few years, then turn it over for current year Lunars, skimming a margin off the top to reinvest in new ounces. Just a shame he didn't start back with the Ox and Mouse releases. Bring me a box of 200x 1/10oz Tigers and I'll guarantee you'll get a box of 200x 1/10oz Horses and some cash.

Doesn't take long for Lunars to sell at a premium. I'd do the above deal with unopened boxes of older year Kookaburras too. Might be a better proposition for some than just selling back as bullion to a dealer. Do it with 50x 2oz Horses if you've got a 100oz purchase in mind in the near future. Think of it as earning a return on the metal premium, regardless of what spot does.

19. grinners

grinners Active Member Silver Stacker

I wonder where the optimum premium over time point is.

Interesting.

20. Billythekid

Billythekid New Member

^^^ Just stopped rolling around laughing. Did anyone notice the guys on the front holding their ears. That is gold - so i guess related to the topic in some way.

Bill