new to silver stacking in the uk anyone help please

Discussion in 'Silver' started by craig12, Feb 4, 2014.

1. craig12

craig12 New Member

hi there, im new to silver stacking and would welcome any advice as a uk stacker please, as you are aware the uk charges 20%vat on purchases, and as im aware of the europe /estonia purchasiing, i just dont feel confident unless a uk purchase and havent much confidence in a e bay purchase,
    im still learning but i think im drawn to bars more than coins, pureley on what im reading on minting costs, hand on heart cards on the table i feel i want to stack as i dont trust the banks in case of a cypruss type situation , and if im truthfulll i think im in it for money gain rather than a hobby , however i cant aford much gold although you dont pay the vat

therefore i have some questions if anyone can help please as im very confused

1 how much does silver have to go up as a % if based on a uk purchase just to get your money back taking into account vat and the lower buy back
    2 is it cheaper to buy 100 x 1 oz rounds or 100 1oz bars overall
    3 should bars be bought as larger bars or are they harder to trade back
    4 if you buy coins should they be put into capsules or are the tubes adecuate to stop toning
    5 should a stacker collect both coins and bars
    6 if cash is tight are the small gram packs purchases not worth bothering with
    sorry for so many questions craig

2. funman1

funman1 New Member

1) I'm in USA so I can't help there.
    2) Some rounds are exactly the same price as bars.. soooo you choose what you like.
    3) Large bars you will get closer to spot price and thus "Loose less when you buy" BUT larger bars can be harder to sell especially if the price of silver goes way up. Personally I like to stay between 1oz and 10ozs Some people like Kilos which is cool but very hard to split and must be sold as lump soo... Get what you like there.
    4) I have not been in stacking long enough to have an informed answer to that
    5) I personally will not buy less than 1oz because you end up paying way too much over spot on the smaller ones below 1oz...

That's my .02ozs on those questions :)
    and WELCOME to the forums!!

3. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

4. RisingHope

RisingHope New Member

Hi Craig12

Im in similar situ, you might find this site useful, http://preciousmetaltax.com/uk-tax-resident/

I think maybe you should look into BullionVault or GoldMoney (yes I know not same as stacking) and when you have sufficient ounces to buy the real thing in quantity, sell and convert. I've done this successfully for a few years now. I've bought in Oslo also, 0% VAT and had no prob bring it back as part of the EFTA. The link above has some interesting info on this.

RH

(newbie here, great forum btw..)