2014 Year of the Horse - Perth Mint launch event

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by goldpelican, Jun 8, 2013.

1. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Just returned from a trip to Perth - was able to meet with the mint to discuss holding a Year of the Horse launch at the mint for Silver Stackers members as we've done in the past for the Dragon and Snake.

A date should be confirmed in the next week or so, but it will be early September again on a weekday - we're trying to get the date finalised as early as possible to ensure that interstate visitors have plenty of time to book flights and accommodation in advance.

At this stage it looks like we have secured a new space (inside the mint) for the launch, which will be able to accommodate a larger group than the 50 previously admitted, and we're working on expanding the event a little to make it more interesting, hopefully with some stuff that is off-limits to casual mint visitors. Unfortunately a mass group tour through the mint factory floor is a no-no :)

More details will be posted once finalised, and a separate thread will be created later on for members to put their names down. Not taking names at this time.

2. goldpelican

Should I mention that the designs look shit hot? :D

Thank the above post as a way of expressing an EOI just so I can gauge numbers.

3. dross

dross Active Member

Any idea what the planned mintage will be for these & is anyone planing for a group buy or are all awaiting allocation numbers.

4. goldpelican

Mintage is set for Series II - 30,000oz Au and 300,000oz Ag.

I don't think any of the forum sponsors get a large enough allocation to even think of doing group buys.

5. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

pumping again? ))

6. goldpelican

Hardly. Not sure if you recall but last year Gold Stackers sold our entire allocation at spot. Not exactly a profit exercise.

7. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

and this year they sell at premium
    what has changed since then?

8. goldpelican

We bought more on the secondary market.

I think dealers buy more 1oz Lunars from other dealers in the first week after launch than retail customers do.

9. Ronnie 666

Ronnie 666 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I hope this year the PM allow their local Australian supporters more than 10 silver 1oz coins as they did last year (Year of the snake). 10x1oz coins is a pathetic allocation for those who so strongly support the PM, especially those who travel interstate to be there on the launch day.

10. bloomst

bloomst Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I would like to attend...but in reality travelling cost wight not worth it...unless there is some killer deal with jetstar/virgin/qantas.

Or maybe if we are allowed to buy 2 roll instead of 1/2 roll...we can get back the flight cost by flipping it? Lol

11. goldpelican

The available silver allocation was raised, and much feedback had already been received. Those limits aren't set by the people most of us here on the forum are familiar with - they've been going in to bat for us with the powers that be to get it changed.

12. steve.rsa

steve.rsa Member Silver Stacker

Well, I would like to E my I to go to this one...

13. clubman

clubman Member

Any chance we can have a peep at the design? Or some description would be nice, too.

14. Byron

Byron Guest

Also how is the 1 oz gold lunar priced and made available to everyday buyers?

15. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

i think its in relation to those who are looking to buy an oz of gold so they base it as spot plus, if you cant afford the spot then go away, what do you want them to sell an oz of gold for when spots floating around $1450, $250?

16. Byron

Byron Guest

I should have made myself clearer:

1) How is premium determined on the 1 oz by the PM? Is it the same every year? Different dealer different premium?
    2) How is allocation handled? Do Forum Sponsors get a set amount?
    3) Do potential byers have to register interest/pre-order with PM or Forum Sponsors?

17. goldpelican

Image has not been released to distributors, and it will be under embargo to late August - the mint has recently made some changes to how embargoed images are distributed, so they will know which distributors have downloaded it if it's leaked early again.

Descriptions are floating around the web (and posted elsewhere here) because they need to be published on the currency determinations signed off by the federal govt. Basically it's horses on coins :)

18. goldpelican

The mint has commercial-in-confidence premiums for dealers and distributors. The Lunars are typically wholesaled at the same rates as Kangaroos/Kookaburras in the equivalent metal. Most "hiked" premiums at the retail level are because dealers buy most of their stock from other dealers.

Allocations have previously been based on past purchase history of distributors, but is reviewed on a case-by-case basis from my understanding. Forum sponsor status means diddly-squat - 95% of the market is outside of Australia.

The mint discourages pre-orders, and anyone that remembers the Dragon pre-order fiasco can explain why. Lots of overselling and fingerpointing and disgruntled dealers and customers all around.

19. ashleyd123

ashleyd123 Member

I'd expect the PM would be doing everything they can to try and entice us (and others) to attend and buy their products. With silver nudging below $20oz, hefty premiums will do nothing to help their cause. Their tarnished reputation won't help them either.

20. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

ahhh now i see what you mean, sorry for the way i replied