Silver/Gold jewellery testing in Brisbane?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Ag-ness, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Ag-ness

Ag-ness Member

Hello,
    I have amassed a small collection of silver and gold items.
    I would like them tested and valued just to assure myself they are genuine, but I haven't decided if I want them insured.
    Can anyone give advice as to where to go in Brisbane? How much can I expect to pay for the service, or does it vary widely?
    Everything I have is hallmarked or karat stamped, but I'd like to know, just the same. :/

2. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

Best place by far for valuations and assessment - Charles Rufus Jewellers in the Brissy Arcade (between Adelaide and Queen St).

I've taken things to the guys there a few times before, and they do most of the valuations for estate jewellers around the city. Would also recommend seeing either of the Sue's (there are multiple) in Kellie's Antiques.

3. Stexe

Stexe New Member

Just a question, how do we know if is real gold / silver on the spot, like dealing f2f with other sellers ? Especially in other countries? I am pretty sure they are not as honest as the members in this forum.

4. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

To be honest Stexe, there's no really easy way. I really dislike buying Australian or Foreign-made jewellery for this reason.

I usually only buy English hallmarked pieces, as I feel I can trust the hallmarks as I'm relatively familiar with them. I think I mentioned on another thread that I can trace one of my rings to the very shop and room it was made back in 1956, as well as where the metal was assayed.

Put simply, Aussie and foreign hallmarks just don't have that quality stamp with the hallmark. I've seen a very large amount of 'sterling' hallmarked rings which have turned out to be clever stainless alloys.

My advice would be, make a point of getting to know the colour of certain kinds of jewellery - particularly different carats and shades of gold (I have wore yellow and rose gold in 9,18 and 24 carat for years now, you grow familiar with the colour and weight). It's a very good way to get familiar with colouring of gold, and if you wear it regularly, you can always compare colourings.

But above all, remember the golden rule - if you feel suspicious, dont buy it.

5. Ag-ness

Ag-ness Member

I received a bracelet today, sold to me as sterling silver, from someone very highly rated on eBay. (Yes, I know.)
    On inspection, it was clearly stamped "stainless steel". I sent them a message, telling them it was stainless steel and asked them for an address to return it, for a full refund.

The guy apologised, said he didn't need it returned, took my details and gave me a full refund.
    I've only had that problem twice on eBay and both times I had no problem getting a refund. No one wants negative feedback.

Most of the time, the ultra-dodgy "silver" sticks out like a sore thumb. Brand new items, I've found, are more likely to be dodgy than used/vintage/antique ones, but they still have to have the proper hallmarks. I've turned down some lovely things that were probably genuine but so worn, the hallmarks had worn off. Plenty of non-worn-out hallmarks out there! :)