Precious metals demand

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by mmm....shiney!, Feb 28, 2024.

1. heartastack

heartastack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Not much spare cash, personally

Real $ Return and 66rounds like this.
  2. PureAg

PureAg Member

I don't sell as much at the moment, more or less just watching the market moves right now.

It's a difficult time to shift metal because people are just not cashed up at the moment.

Then if you have metal that isn't always appealing (like Kooks or fractionals), you're getting 'at spot' at best and even then a lot of sales are taking a lot longer than usual.

It's ironic that metal prices are really good right now, but it's pointless when no one is buying.

3. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I traveled 700 miles yesterday to visit my mom in Kansas. There's all the big city coin shops here and I want to check them out but I'm not too hopeful haha. Never know tho, could get lucky!
    Doesn't seem like there's much buying lately and from what I've seen there's alot of inventory.
    My local LCS had more in stock than I've ever seen in the last decade.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2024
    Real $ Return and mmm....shiney! like this.
  4. Michael Kay

Michael Kay Active Member

Gold and silver are moving, albeit slowly, and people are not keen to pay fractional premiums any longer. Spot AGW is where it seems to be.

5. Genghicat

Genghicat Active Member

I think that the reason that real estate is strong, while demand for PM isn't there, is that the average punter still needs a place to live, and with all the recent building company collapses (it's been how few days since the last one did????) an existing house is a virtual gold mine. Plus, when you can borrow 90% of the cost of your house from the bank, even at high interest rates, (personally) I think that it's a no brainer to buy a house over PMs (especially given the ratio of new house builds to net immigration).

Don't get me wrong. I **LOVE** PMs, and don't plan on selling any in the foreseeable future, but when people are hurting [financially], any financial risk they're going to take will be on an asset will be an asset that keeps them off the street. But I'm just grateful that I'm fortunate in the position where I don't have to choose between buying a cheap "pretty" and keeping a roof over my family's head.

mmm....shiney! likes this.
  6. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Opportunity cost.

And there's nothing like an economic downturn to force people into prioritising their spending habits.

7. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

3100 AUD then. Today at 3300. :)

mmm....shiney! likes this.
  8. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Good post.... but perhaps SHTF while looming, is not anywhere near us yet. Just a few dry powder practice runs. It'll be a real SHTF situation when there is real anarchy, and desperate people wanting to get from A to B in order to save their real life skins, offer Mr Make-it-happen a few gold coins, a bit of jewellery, or a pouch of real high end gem-stones. Some, unknown to most, are already making it happen. Others, wait for clearer signs before making any jumps to safe havens (where-ever that may be). The ride is only just starting. IMO of course and that's not worth a pinch of sh%t to most people. That's ok. :) While the sheep mull directionless, it allows the "stray" to quietly sneak off.... before the mutton trucks arrive. :)

Shaddam IV and 66rounds like this.
  9. mmm....shiney!

I think that spot price is climbing while sales volume is shrinking. But I've got little to back that claim except what I'm seeing and hearing on this forum. In my opinion the current economic conditions are challenging long held assumptions that precious metals are a source of value in times of trouble.

Real $ Return likes this.
  10. 66rounds

66rounds Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think the volume is increasing, it’s just institutional and not retail volume.

11. Real $ Return

Real $ Return Active Member

Precious metals-Gold in particular showing slow,steady growth lately and reaching ATH.imo uneducated as it is people just putting spare cash those that have it into other assets...crypto especially they've seen huge increase in short time and its worth the speculation/gamble as money goes no where fast while assets(many) at ATH or close VAS $85 now $97 btc 20k now over 100k ETH 1.6k while back now over 5k etc,etc cash unallocated is trash...as even basic necessities rise dramatically

12. pmbug

pmbug Active Member

From what I'm reading, the retail buying is happening in China and India.

66rounds and mmm....shiney! like this.
  13. mmm....shiney!

I think this is highlights the issue. The POG is reaching ATHs but depending on the economic circumstances in different countries retail demand varies.

Australians are largely fkd financially thanks to the actions of our central bank (targeting mortgage holders in the fight against inflation) and the mismanagement from our politicians (record immigration and an obsession with balancing the budget) so as a result consumer sentiment is at all time lows. Combined with consumer preference which is largely a social construct and one that can vary from nation to nation I'd suggest that as liquidity dries up precious metal demand is suffering a similar fate here as other non-discretionary spending. It's probably also happening with crypto, I just don't have any figures on that.

[​IMG]

Shaddam IV likes this.
  14. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

When Airbnb is the biggest hotel in the world without a room of its own, Uber is the biggest car fleet without a car, Amazon is the biggest retailer without a shop, Menulog is the biggest restaurant without a kitchen, BTC is the biggest bank without any money; who needs physical?

lucky luke, GoldenEye, Garnet and 3 others like this.
  15. mmm....shiney!

^ I don't understand your point sorry.

These tough economic times have shown that cash is king, not gold or silver.

16. Michael Kay

yep, and China can turn that shit off on us as soon as the launch a "military operation". I think it's human arrogance to think that we can rely on the internet at all costs. In times of natural disaster, etc... you can kiss your crapto goodbye.

20 somethings don't even carry wallets anymore, and they laugh at old timers that do. Those that forsake freedom for convenience deserve neither freedom nor convenience!

17. Michael Kay

CB and Albo don't care if you can't pay your mortgage, as there are a whole horde of cashed up buyers (including foreigners and FOBs) that will quickly snap up your property if you are forced to sell. They don't care about people that were born and grew up here unless they are multi-millionaire property developers, and have, y'know, actual lobbying powers. "Let them eat cake" is the mentality.

Shaddam IV and ozcopper like this.
  18. mmm....shiney!

Some 60 somethings don't carry wallets either.

I prefer the freedom that my mobile phone provides rather than the inconvenience of having to carry around a physical wallet. It's just something else to lose. ;)

Or drop in the urinal.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2024
  19. mmm....shiney!

The issue is that mortgage holders are the ones paying the price to control inflation while cashed up boomers are living like royalty and driving up the price of goods and services.

Monetary policy is a broken tool and it's not helped by the government mismanaging fiscal policy because their playbook is outdated.

20. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The average American can't afford a mortgage anymore without making 150k and perfect credit just to qualify.
    The middle class has been completely priced out.

A little bungalo house down the street from my mom's place here in the ghetto just sold for 145k which I never would have thought was possible.
    The first house I bought in this neighborhood in 1994 was 28k, same size house and yard.
    I'm heading back home to Gunnison tomorrow after a week and a half of visiting and I've had my fill of homeless and tent cities along the Kansas River, not to mention the needles and poop on the sidewalks.
    I can't wait to get back to my Shangri-La in the Rockies!
    I may never come back here again after this trip unless I have to. My hometown is a total shithole now and has really gone downhill in the last 8 years since I've been here.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2024
    66rounds and ozcopper like this.