New Ebay scam

Discussion in 'Fakes & Counterfeits' started by alwayslooking, Apr 7, 2017.

1. alwayslooking

alwayslooking New Member

The new Ebay scam seems to be selling the same coin as somebody else. If you look up "1959 Mexico 20 Peso " somebody in Australia is selling it for $1550 and somebody in the USA with a week old account and zero feedback has the same add (background and all) and you can get the coin for $8.88. This is the forth coin I have seen advertised by a new seller with no other items listed, usually just one high dollar coin. I reported this one , be careful out there.

2. The Crow

The Crow Member Silver Stacker

How would that scam work? You sell nothing for $8 - hardly going to get rich. Or is it auction format, so that you could potentially scam the whole price?

3. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Potentially the Aussie could have bought them for $8 and selling it for $1500 and copying the $8 ad?

4. The Crow

The Crow Member Silver Stacker

Oops, I read it the other way around. Nice profit margin if the seller is being "honest".

5. alwayslooking

alwayslooking New Member

It looked like the Aussie add for "buy it now" was legit and some crackhead in the USA with a computer copied and pasted the add to their new account and changed it to an auction in the hope that people would bid on it like a real coin. I kept an eye on it and Ebay didn't take it down when I reported it. It seemed that most everyone stayed away from it then somebody bid $8 on it then later gave the feedback of "not sent, no contact". So if it would have bid up to $1400 they would have scored. I have seen several 1 or 2 day old accounts with 1 high dollar coin for sale and nothing else.